Anfield and Kirkby

Wow, I was even further off :zipper_mouth_face:

9 Likes

You werenā€™t really off. Melwood was completely reconstructed during Houillierā€™s time with us, around 2000. It was his long-term legacy for us, as it was a state-of-the-art training center at the time.

As far as I know, nothing was done during Rafaā€™s reign, which was also g+hā€™s. And since fsg have come in, there have been some minor works, but nothing comparable to the Kirkby project which has been accomplished now. Thatā€™s a major feather in fsgā€™s cap, well done.

5 Likes

Couldnā€™t they have been more creative than ā€˜The AXA Training Centreā€™ ?

2 Likes

When I saw the name of the Centre, I cried. What a worse name for a beautiful building.
Exactly, I agree with you.

I wonder how much money they get for thisā€¦ are there any reports about that?

What would you suggest? I mean, short of telling AXA to re-brand itself as ā€œLiverpoolā€ (under licence, of course)? It seems perfectly ok to me. Inoffensive, or so I would have thought!!

2 Likes

You cried? Really?

I agree, ways of increasing sponsorship and additional income is something we have always lagged behind other clubs, but whenever the idea of selling naming rights to Anfield is suggested it gets shot down by fans pretty quickly.

This seems to be a happy medium in my view

2 Likes

Not seen anything yet, but would be in the clubs financial accounts when they get published next year

1 Like

Theyā€™re called auditorium stairways/steps e.g.:

or

4 Likes

SOS will be releasing a statement condemning the club for seeking additional income any minute nowā€¦

4 Likes

As long as they donā€™t rename Anfield i donā€™t have a problem tbh. Maybe Iā€™m a bit more used to it, we have a Signal Iduna Park and an Allianz Arena etc. in Germany tbf.

So for me, AXA Trainings Center sounds alright, as long as we get good money for this, especially in these ā€œcovid timesā€, it comes a bit as a relief that the club is able to sort something like this out.

7 Likes

Okay, now that I have seen more pictures at a different angle, I get it, thanks :+1:t3:

2 Likes

I guess we should be getting used to the encroachment of corporate branding in traditional sportscapes. We have a state of the art and integrated training facility that probably sets us good for 20 years. It may be a small consolation, but in popular use it wont be The AXA Training Center or even the AXA Center. People will just say things like ā€˜meet me at the training centerā€™ or ā€˜I will be at the training centerā€™.

2 Likes

Regarding how much this deal with AXA could be worth, I found this on TIA:

(ā€¦)

It is unclear how much Liverpoolā€™s deal with AXA will be worth, but back in 2013, Man Unitedā€˜s eight-year sponsorship deal with AON ā€“ which saw their Carrington training ground become known as the AON Training Complex ā€“ was reported to be worth around Ā£180 million.

1 Like

At the end of the day, itā€™s a training ground. The vast majority of fans will never set foot in it.

4 Likes

It would have been a great tribute to one of the members of Shanklyā€™s bootroom staff, like Joe Fagen or Ron Moran, you know what I mean.

I guess, I am too much of a traditionalist really. However, I got to get used to the corporate side of the club

2 Likes

The more I see of the complex, I am warming to it. It will an end of an era at Melwood.

2 Likes

Exactly. Even the players and staffs will just call it the training center. The official name being mentioned only in media.

1 Like