Anfield and Kirkby

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1734264492165365793?t=ANay-q48I4DcAbxxL9ZK0w&s=19

Good news. Provided the test event is a success, the phased openong of the ARE will see more fans in for the visit of united.

It’s been sad seeing it empty to be fair so be glad to see fans there now should help the atmosphere considering these fans I assume have struggled to attend up to now.

1 Like

Interesting that the article refers to 7000 attending the test event and then 7000 extra for United, however the tweet refers to 10000 tonight at the test event.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Gary Neville says it was the worst atmosphere he has ever seen…
Personally, not sure how you see an atmosphere… always thought you felt or sensed such things within… Can’t stand GN
Anyway, as per normal, he has stirred the shit…

Liverpool have awkward questions to answer over Anfield as supporters make feelings clear

After the ECHO’s writers had their say, Liverpool supporters got involved with the debate about the Anfield atmosphere

This week has opened up a fresh can of worms regarding the state of Anfield’s atmosphere on matchdays.

As the Reds were shut out by Manchester United on Sunday in front of the largest crowd the ground has seen in over 50 years, Gary Neville took the home supporters to task by stating it was “by far the worst atmosphere I’ve ever seen” in all of his years as a visiting player or pundit with Manchester United the visitors

It is a divisive debate - on the one hand you have opposition that come away from the stadium passing down the story of how it is the most pressure they have had to play under, though on the other the travelling fans often have their say too, wondering what all the fuss is about.

At what stage do the supporters have to stand up and acknowledge the atmosphere is lacking, so to speak, or is it on the players to give them something to shout about?

Why is it deemed uncool to wear red and bring a scarf to the game in the modern day?

Can the club actively seek to implement measures such as more safe standing areas, singing sections or more banners in the terraces, to reap the same benefits of the likes of Arsenal?

Our writers explored these questions and more in the weekend’s aftermath, and were met with plenty of responses from readers. Here is a collection of how Liverpool supporters currently view the situation and the solutions they propose to help solve any issues:

@TheKingIsBack78: “Touts selling season tickets for ridiculous amounts to the highest day tripper bid. Unfortunately facial recognition is the only way to stop it happening.”

@kensington62: “It’s not fashionable to have a scarf, I have taken a scarf to every match for over 40 years. We create the atmosphere & players respond. Fans from abroad around my seat always join in with the songs but for some it’s not fashionable.”

@talkofliverpool4: "I have been at Anfield since the sixties; and the raw atmosphere has been the envy of all others however there is now a few songs at the beginning, and a bit of a roar when we kick off each half but then its silence. I put this down to the loss of local Liverpool fans who have been priced out of their season tickets, and the people who have taken them up don’t have the instinct to roar their team on. It’s up to the fans to lift the players and that is not happening. Sitting down is also a factor I mean name me any choir that sings without standing. The few old fans left at Anfield will need to elbow those next to them who ain’t singing as the team will need them if West Ham and Arsenal are to be put to the sword. Come on you Reds! Attack Attack Attack.

@lfcrule: “One thing I would love to see if anything just as an experiment is a designated “Give your ST [season ticket] to a local kid” game. Get teenagers from local postcodes to register and then every season designate a game where ST holders can donate their ticket for a game. I would love to see if it made any difference to the atmosphere.”

@shanklysboys: “If the reds fans created a atmosphere half as good as the away fans in the Europa League at Anfield it would be a boss atmosphere every game.”

@stefanosred: “If the club was serious why didn’t it clear the season ticket waiting list when the new stand was completed. The club would rather have the day visitor fans who spend in the souvenir shop before the game. I’m afraid it is money before local fans every time with LFC. My son has been on the waiting list for nearly 20 years and expected a season ticket when the new stand was completed but has just been moved up the list now his number is in the 400’s. Loyalty seems one directional to me and I have been a supporter since the old second division days.”

@MJ68: “When the game becomes tense the noise lessens - seems to be a regular issue. Wouldn’t want someone banging a drum with their backs to the game leading the chanting like foreign football. Spoke to an older season ticket holder about this and he’d like to relocate from The Kop to another part of the stadium but can’t afford to do so. Would like to see the owners assist in such circumstances, otherwise the age profile will only get older.”

@Lovemedo: “It’s probably nothing to do with locals vs non-locals issue. How many non-locals in each home game? It cannot be more than half of the fans in the stadium. I think it’s more of the lack of chemistry between the players and the fans. TBH, other than Salah, Trent, Allison, and VvD, not much chemistry developed between the other group of players and the fans. It’s different with the front three and the midfield trio in the 2017-2020 seasons.”

@mrslow: “I was there, unfortunately the teams poor performance caused despair amongst the crowd, it seemed to me that the team needed to give us something to cheer about, that didn’t happen. All around me as the game progressed was criticism of our players.”

@VVD96: “The problem with the atmosphere is that it’s doomed before it’s started…the volume of rock music beforehand kills any sort of singing to get the crowds going. The music is bloody awful for a start unless you’re an AC/DC fan… it doesn’t stop until the teams come out and YNWA is sung. Come on George, play a bit more appropriate music and get the fans buzzing for Kick off and throughout the game. We’ve got a boss new stand and that place should be bouncing!”

EDIT for Mods… Probably ample numbers for this post, but was restricted to 10no only additional comments from the original article

2 Likes

I think a big part of the poor atmosphere, compared to past seasons, is that we are so much better than United, therefore it’s expected that we will win the game, so when we are unable to break the deadlock, fans quieten up. When United were the best team on the land and we were underdogs, the atmosphere was greater as everything is against us. Not the case now, with an expectation we beat them every time they come to town. On last Sunday, clearly the 7-0 bashing the previous year raised expectations to a high level.

I’ve not been to Old Trafford to see us play them, but from watching on telly for years, whenever we visit them it was never as good an atmosphere compared to Anfield then.

Gary and Roy were both doing what all ex-pro pundits eventually do - look outside their own clubs failings, and focus on others.

That coupled with the other things mentioned, like older crowd, tours selling to day trippers etc all play a part too ofcourse.

3 Likes

The thing is, Sunday was not the first time this season when the atmosphere has been poor. It was definitely more noticeable, because we were playing Utd and we expect the crowd to really get behind the team.

1 Like

Down to expectation that we win every week at Anfield? And we have been to be fair.

Cup crowd tonight will be interesting to watch/hear.

It’s very hard to disect everything through TV, but yeah, the difference in atmosphere was noticeable.

And it’s not like we played horrible. I mean, we struggled to break down United, but a lot of our game was still pretty good. I felt we started well and then the whole place went flat because we didn’t score early.

There are a lot of factors here, some mentioned in the quotes a few posts up, probably more.

I do think this is absolute rubbish though:

“I think it’s more of the lack of chemistry between the players and the fans. TBH, other than Salah, Trent, Allison, and VvD, not much chemistry developed between the other group of players and the fans. It’s different with the front three and the midfield trio in the 2017-2020 seasons.”

Really?

I really do wonder if United was coached to not engage the crowd. wasn’t a lot of shitty challenges or feet left in, flying elbows, crunching tackles. Almost a methodology of “don’t wake the beast”.

probably the cleanest game I’ve seen against united in memory.

Aren’t away fans in any stadium better than home fans in the UK.

People bang on about Palace but 3/4 of the stadium is as bad as anywhere else, the 4 guys behind me always ordered a taxi around the 70th minute

https://twitter.com/ptgorst/status/1737601553064698224

3 Likes

Not the first time he said something similar…

https://x.com/_cjh96/status/1737611655024910399?s=46&t=aLG9ncyUrtZ-QtZv0kz6SQ

2 Likes

https://x.com/masonspence97/status/1737598741102694888?s=46&t=aLG9ncyUrtZ-QtZv0kz6SQ

This not helpful either

1 Like

Sometimes… just sometimes, it is worth remembering what a passionate manager we have on our hands… If he say’s the crowd can help the cause, well, he does have a lot first hand experience

Considering how few tickets are available on membership not sure how that helps.

Also the F&F thing again demonstrates entitlement. What I would generally support is for the membership to be really cheap or even free for kids under say 16.

Membership is shocking system and has got worse mind, miss out for tickets in one season and you end up back nowhere.

Also sadly standing is illegal so what can the club do? It will face penalties otherwise.

4 Likes