Are you Snooker Loopy? The Chas & Dave Memorial Snooker Thread

My dad was/is a a big Jimmy White fan (not bigger than a Jimmy Connors fan though, he’s his #1 sporting love). My mother used to tell me about him watching all those unfortunate finals. He cared more about high risk playing style and personality rather than supporting players who won the most. Though even with his 0-6 record in that tournament, White is still highly regarded in that sport.

Some find snooker boring, but I like it. Played a few times, not particularly good, but it’s enjoyable. Would love to have a snooker table one day, that’s one of those random wishes that will probably never come true!

1 Like

I love snooker the UK Championship is throwing up some interesting results, Bingham came back from 5-0 only to lose 6-5 last night

1 Like

High quality game between Kyren Wilson and O’Sullivan currently. Wilson leading 4-3 at the moment in a best of 11. Targeting a place in the semi-finals.

1 Like

This is Wilson’s tournament to win now.

Werid seeing all the names I watched when I was younger the likes of Hicks and Hamilton progress to the latter stages. It’s one those sports that if you had the skills in your 20/30s you can still do 20 years on. I would say the tour is more about stamina than anything else.

Be nice for Jack Lisowski to come good on his early promise.

Think the 128 over a Bo11 has spoiled it somewhat. For snooker to prosper, it needs the big names fighting it out in the latter stages of the major tournaments, otherwise even the snooker enthusiast (like myself) won’t be too bothered watching, nevermind the passive viewer.

Either go back to the old style of the top 16 entering at the latter stages or play Bo15/17 throughout, to give the best players a chance to avoid defeat when an opponent makes a fast start.

I dunno it’s been some good tight matches in this format I do wonder about the four table set up mind.

I don’t need to see Stephen Maguire bore me mind and I am a snooker fan.

Brilliant stuff.

1 Like

I wonder what Desislava does to relax.

Go on, son!

Masters snooker final 2022: Neil Robertson beats Barry Hawkins - Masters snooker final 2022: Neil Robertson beats Barry Hawkins - BBC Sport

Disappointing final, Hawkins just didn’t turn up, but Robertson was a worthy winner. Two of snookers “good guys”, shame there had to be a loser.

1 Like

Disappointing tournament all round, really. The best man won, but it feels like nobody properly showed up.

:flushed:

Witchcraft.

2 Likes

Easy enough shot, just takes a bit of practice :smirk:

‘Phil Tufnell’ looked like he loved that.

Swerving around the blue was special.

I really thought I could resist the hours of wasted weekend this year. Fat chance.
Yan Bingtao vs Selby was enthralling. Bingtao plays Mark Williams next. They’re both in incredible form. Monday and Tuesday is already planned then…

3 Likes

Bingham winning all 4 early morning frames to go 2 in front of Trump at 7-5. Hope he beats Trump, I can’t stand him.

1 Like

You’re not alone on that one, though Bingham isn’t much better. His comments after winning the World title are stuck in my head, and every time I see him, I think “fucking idiot”.

After reaching the very pinnacle of his career, all those long hours, all the devastating disappointments… you finally make it to the very top and you sum it up by saying…

“Four words: Winner, winner chicken dinner’,” Bingham told the BBC.

2 Likes

Bingham’s just an average blok. Surreal he won the World Championship! Selby has somehow managed to get 4, probably bored his opponents to death.

1 Like

Fingers crossed for Ronnie :crossed_fingers:t3: