Arne Slot - Head Coach

Quite ironic that in the third image he talks about Virgil not once attempting the cross-field pass to Salah in the Sevilla match, only for us to score from him doing precisely that against Ipswich.

2 Likes

A bit more screen friendly:

4 Likes

I’d rather the Virgil Salah passes be attempted less frequently. Makes us more unpredictable when they do happen.

There was an element of predictability before.

1 Like

He did sign a Liverpool shirt that a lad and his father had just before he did his interview with BT sports, Assuming it isn’t just going straight on eBay and that lad even though he had an Ipswich shirt on is a Liverpool fan as well then it will make his day and probably year.

1 Like

I think that IF we got to the business end of the season in the same place as we did last season that we will not run out of energy under this manager and his game model.

2 Likes

One of the things I noticed in the last 15 that was very different was the ability to take it slowly if needed. 2-0 up we weren’t trying to make it happen.

Slot will never be Klopp but he isn’t trying and he perhaps will be able to inherit enough to take us on further.

And that won’t be a slight to Jurgen, people need to adjust to that. He is a different person though from the little stuff like he did with that fan, the guy isn’t without heart.

2 Likes

Slot’s been identified to build on the team given by Jurgen.

There will be obvious similarities in play given that Jurgen is a manager whose tactics are admired worldwide.

But he’s not Jurgen. He’ll have his own traits.

1 Like

A considered post to a manager not waving.

My post wasn’t in reply to you, but the many posts about a non issue.

1 Like

Ruthless decision made at earliest opportunity changed the game.

Changed the tactics in game which made a telling difference.

Pulled no punches in the post match press conferences. First half, not good enough from all.

Zero panic during that first half performance. Saw what needed to change, did it, and the difference was night and day. Plenty to be excited about with the second half but big fan of his approach. Promising signs.

4 Likes

Yeah, we’re not going to see the emotions clouding any of his decisions.

2 Likes

Is ruthless overplaying it though? It was a good decision and I agree with everything else.

1 Like

Other trainers would have hesitated to make that decision because;
1, It is an admission that the initial team selection was wrong, and
2, For fear of damaging the player’s confidence.

In that light, there is a certain ruthlessness about it.

3 Likes

In regards to 2,

If a players confidence is shattered because of that then they shouldn’t be playing for a team like Liverpool.

I would hope Quansah would say, I’ll prove him wrong and i feel that is what he will do.

It isn’t about a single player it is about the team and I am sure Jarrell has a good head on him and understands that

1 Like

And this is the challenge to every player especially the younger ones. Jones, Elliot, Bradley, Quansah and Bajectic would have now more than ever to show they will fight, not that they did not previously do so, but now, they see what Slot is willing to do, the mentality has to be even stronger.

1 Like

I can see both sides of the decision to sub Quansah at half time.

On one hand, a coach isn’t there to stroke a player’s ego when there are 3 important points on the line.

But on the other, there is a certain naivety in that decision making: if that was the club whipping boy, the social media abuse would be off the charts.

Young lad you’ve picked ahead of a more seasoned and expensive international. Would be very easy to think of giving him ten minutes in the second half or that taking him off at half time might damage his confidence or look like a mistake was made picking him initially.

1 Like

I really rate Quansah and I think Slot does as he is/was 1st choice, but sometimes it is horses for courses and Ibou is better in a physical battle than Quansah, who is better on the ball and positional wise.

Isn’t it great that we have 2 excellent CB’s to compliment Virg

7 Likes

Exactly this. I for one am loving the competition, now if only Gomez and van den Berg were able to actually bring themselves to that level too. Gomez has been able to do that in the past, but it is also an inflection point for his career, at 27.

He should be concerned though, that if he moves, it’s no guarantee that it will turn out well, and he might just find himself with the same squad position but at a lower level.

1 Like

We need a LCB, so we can rest Virg now and again, with the hope of filling his very big boots when the time comes.

Virg for me will be the hardest to replace as he is so strong in all aspects of what is expected of a CB

2 Likes

I had a quick browse of what we did last season without Virgil starting. It seems we mainly went with Quansah on the left.

1 Like