Arne Slot - Head Coach

Practicing his offsides :rofl:

I don’t think he needs to practice them, he’s a natural!

Joking aside, he’ll have some work to do to force his way into Slot’s plans but I loved how he pressed the hell out of Man United players when he came on, camera caught him tracking back to our corner flag a few times.

4 Likes

Knows more about Man Utd than ETH

2 Likes

Ten Hag furiously taking notes to try to understand what his game plan was

15 Likes

Slot giving ETH lessons.

For those who haven’t seen…a nice little preview.

3 Likes

One of the most impressive things about Slot is his tactical flexibility. He doesn’t try to implement the exact same approach he used at Feyenoord.

Many people expected a hybrid CB/FB role because he employed that system at Feyenoord, similar to what we see at City and Arsenal. We actually have Gomez, who could play that role, but instead of forcing our squad into his existing formula, Slot adapted his game plan to utilize Trent. He also adjusted to the absence of a dedicated No. 6. Gravenberch, for instance, clearly had the freedom to do what he does best—drive the ball forward—even though he was technically playing as our defensive midfielder.

This is completely contrast to Ten Hag, who seems determined to recreate his Ajax team.

8 Likes

We’re winning the fucking league.

13 Likes

I think the vast majority of people would say the opposite is his problem - made himself a candidate for the job by playing a certain brand of football and has never made any serious attempt to recreate it given the lack of suitability of his new set of players and instead being stuck in a tactical no mans land. I think if was at least showing signs of a coherent approach there would be a little more leeway over the results they’ve been getting.

4 Likes

Credit to Slot for finding some weakness in what is to me just a completely random approach that occasionally requires on the counter attack.

1 Like

That’s something that Tuchel does pretty well too. The non dickhead part of Tuchel.

1 Like

Tuchel is historically a very good manager for about 18 months - someone who sees and sets u tactics to get the best out of a team.

Just too touchy and/or abrasive to avoid burning relationships in that time.

2 Likes

He comes across as a likeable straight-shooter but I wish he wouldn’t outline his match-winning tactics so candidly during his interviews. I Mean, why give away your ideas to watching opposition managers?

2 Likes

Yeah i thought that was a bit too honest myself.

1 Like

He does it after the game, which I have no problem with as he gives the rest of the league a blueprint on how to beat everybody else.

But he is showing how tactically astute he is, so others will know if they find a weakness in our game, he will already be aware of it and how to fix it.

We going through this league with a perfect record.

4 Likes

Unlikely given how we are consrantly fucked over by officials and the league has prostituted itself to state owned clubs.

I’m actually interested in how he reacts to an expensive poor decision, or even a poor performance to be honest.

I don’t think it is rocket science, other clubs have staff watching games to pick up on this sort of stuff anyway. You could probably learn it from you tube analysis of the games. We’re probably well suited to picking apart a side like this Utd one. I’m more worried about teams spotting a way to disrupt our way of playing.

4 Likes

The Ipswich game was a prime example of his tactical awareness as they were effective in their man for man marking in the 1st half.

Firstly he emphasised that to beat their man for man marking and to stop their outlet balls, was to win our duels. Secondly, he then said that we needed to bypass the marking and be a little more direct to our forwards who were effectively 1 v 1, which then got Ipswich nervous and opened up space to play from the back.

Remember how Atlanta bossed us with man to man and we didn’t have an answer, for me he is more tactically astute than Klopps previous coaches.

I also said to few mates towards the end of last season, that are also Liverpool fans that Slot would make us better defensively, as that was one of our main problems last year, along with not being clinical.

3 Likes

Totally agree, but Slot then has the tactical awareness to overcome a team when they are having success against us but also Klopp was quite successful last season with changes at halftime, but last season we weren’t as tight defensively which cost us and he had no answer to Atlanta’s set up against us.

2 Likes

Just watching a repeat of the Kelly and Wrighty show, Owen Hargreaves is a fuckwit and doesn’t have a danny la rue.

He said that you can’t win with a playmaker, Gravy as the DM, and then used Rodri as an example of a DM, when his actual DM numbers are useless, apart from aerial duels he is next highest is tackles at 47 percentile. Although this can be down to how City control games, but when I do occasionally watch he isn’t the best as a strict DM apart from snide fouls

Talking commentators, I listened to Lampard yesterday and was actually surprised as his tactical knowledge was rather good when talking about our setup against Man U

1 Like