Athletics - track and field

Wow. 18 years old. Wow.

3 Likes

Sounds fast - especially as sprinters aren’t near their peak until mid 20s. Is he also fast over 100m or more of a 200/400 guy?

Just watched the ‘Mo Farah’ documentary. It’s a very moving story, tragic in what it shows about the treatment of children and obviously inspirational in that he rose so high. I hope it cases people to think harder about the topic of migration although it’s likely that most will go back to their simplified view.
Coincidentally Andrew Flintoff’s cricket team now includes a young Afghan refugee who arrived illegally. Let’s see what happens to him. How successful a sportsperson do you have to be in order to be allowed to stay?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2022/07/17/fred-kerley-worlds-fastest-man/

Rule by the mob/public interest?

Anyone following the European Championships?

Our girl Gina LĂźckenkemper has just won the 100m final

1 Like

You absolute diamond, love this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Gutted for the GB team where they dropped from 2nd to 5th because of the disqualification of the men’s and the women’s 4x100 relay teams dropped 32 points Italy who were 1st all weekend but fielded their best athletes possible while almost everyone else had their U21s

Coverage like this pisses me off.

“I am clean” - no one gives a shit. Part of being able to compete is not just being clean, but being able to demonstrate you are clean by abiding by the drug testing requirements. If she has a reasonable explanation for why it was not her fault she missed any of those 3 tests then lets hear that and make it the basis of your defense not just some hand waving that requires us to accept something that was in your power to have demonstrated and not require us to just take your word for it.

1 Like

I dont get to watch much athletics anymore (US coverage is terrible) but was excited to see McLaughlin-Levrone 400m hurdles world record holder transition to the 400m, but she’s just had to pull out of the worlds this year with a knee injury

2 Likes

Congratulations to lifelong reds Katarina-Johnson Thompson for winning the Heptathlon at the world championships she has battled serious injuries since she won it in 2019 well done

4 Likes

To do that after rupturing her Achilles on her take off foot is amazing

1 Like

I am very old but I admit to being emotional when she crossed the line after the 800m she has suffered so much for her art and I am devastated that no coach worth his salt hasn’t improved her weaker events the past 10years I hope she stays injury free for the olympics next year

1 Like

Shit! I hope Dinah isn’t injured again! It kinda looks like she pulled up at the end of the semis

1 Like

So so happy for her :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Just caught the women’s 100m by accident. I love Shelly Ann Frazier Pryce, but what a run from Richardson.

1 Like