Becoming One of You Lot

No real point to this thread other than to say that after an absolutely tortorous wait, I have finally been approved for my visa to the USA and should be moving there this week. I’m very ready to become a Mainer!

My wife and son moved to the USA exactly 6 months and 3 days ago so this has been an exhausting process (when they moved we thought I was no longer than 1 or 2 months away from being approved but then Covid hit and the Embassy shut down) and I think the key turning point was last week when my wife managed to get her Congressperson to give a personal call to the Embassy to enquire about my case. Low and behold two working days later they issue my visa.

Anyway, can’t wait to be an American resident- despite all the issues associated with that! I’ve already got a great job sorted in a brand new industry for me, with a massive logistics/retail company who have been amazing with me through the whole process (I was offered the job at the end of July and they have been really patient with letting everything fall into place, not knowing when that would be).

Exciting times! My son turned 1 last month and he’s very close to taking his first steps so I’m hoping that I can get there this week to witness it all in person as I’ve already missed so much.

28 Likes

All the very best mate. I can’t imagine what it must have been like to be apart from them for so long.

Have you arranged a replacement youth scout?!

Good luck with it all, hope you make it over in time to see your lad take his first steps.

7 Likes

Good riddance!

I mean, best of luck for the future. I’m sure you can’t wait to finally join up with your wife and son. :+1:t2:

10 Likes

I’m glad it worked out, @Sweeting. Maine is wonderful. My daughter was looking to play footie at a few colleges there, and we thoroughly enjoyed our trips.

Most importantly, I’m glad you’re with family again and I wish you all the best. If you need a family getaway, try the Black Point Inn in Scarborough. It’s breathtaking.

All the best. YNWA.

7 Likes

Congrats Sweeting. All the best to you and yours. Glad you can be with your Family again. I’m in Pennsylvania (about an hour outside Philadelphia) until some time in March without my Family so I know how difficult and challenging it can be. YNWA

5 Likes

Glad to hear your purgatory has come to an end. I expect you will love Maine.

4 Likes

Good to hear, shagger.

That must have been a torturous wait.

Best of luck with the move.

3 Likes

glad to see this update, can’t imagine how hard that was

2 Likes

an hour in which direction, out of curiosity?

i’m about 40 minutes WSW of center city

1 Like

Great news, Michael! I’m glad for you that your long wait is over! All the best for you and your family! :+1:t2:

2 Likes

All the best to you and your family!! :+1:

2 Likes

Congratulations, and welcome to Maine!

2 Likes

Congrats mate. Am sure your feeling like a massive weight has been lifted after hearing the news. And Mrs Sweeting is probably exstatic that you’ll be joining her soon.

Now don’t let the door hit your arse on the way out :wink:

2 Likes

Pleased for you mate. Had to be difficult being apart for so long, but glad to hear it’s all going to work out. Good luck with the new job too.

Clam chowder and a lobster roll… jobs a good ‘un!

3 Likes

Sweeting, wait, you cannot go ! Who is going to keep us up to date with the academy games ?

Seriously though, the very best of luck.

2 Likes

I’ll still try to keep my toe in with the youth football although going to the academy is one of the only things I’ll miss!

6 Likes

Black Point Inn is a good shout! I’m 1/2 hour north of there and about 10 mins from Bowdoin. Sounds like you are well-acquainted!

1 Like

You’re a lucky man! Beautiful area. Absolutely loved the college. Had a great Greek dinner at Enoteca Athena. Good memories.

2 Likes

Congrats! Although are you sure? Did you see the dumpster fire of the debate? But seriously, I am happy you are being reunited with family and embarking on a new job

1 Like

Arrived in the US about 9 hours ago. Picked up a rental at Logan and drove up to Maine. Got here at 11pm and woke up the wife.

Could only poke my head in on my son given how late it was and he was sleeping soundly. Get to wake him up in a couple of hours!

18 Likes