Ben Davies (CB) to Rangers

I’m not certain, but I think he played a bit last pre-season. I may have dreamt it, but I don’t think so.

2 Likes

Yeah he played our first couple.

2 Likes

What a legend…

1 Like

Good luck to him. Strange signing, but at the time we were down to back ups of back ups in defence, so normal rules didn’t quite apply. It was a long shot that we might unearth some talent, as he was supposed to have some skills, but in the end the leap up to Liverpool level is vast.

Since then we have moved on and then some, so there was no future here for him.

Alls well that ends well, and good luck to Ben Davies. Nice that the fee almost covers Ramsey too.

1 Like

One of those transfers that suits everyone. Preston got a bit of cash for a player running out of contract, and they got to keep van den Berg for an extra season who was their best defender.

Liverpool got some emergency cover and sold him on for a profit.

Rangers sign a player who should be easily good enough for the Scottish league, right from under the noses of Celtic and he replaces someone they themselves are selling for £23m (Bassey) meaning the deal is relative peanuts for them.

3 Likes

Man U to sign in next summer for £25m?

I enjoy it even more that the money for Bassey is from selling Lisandro to United - meaning United are in a roundabout way the ones paying us £4m for Davies.

2 Likes

Think he played in one of the early ones when we used about 3 different teams and then another 10 minutes in one of the last ones at Anfield. So only around half an hour of friendly football.

Ideal Phil Jones replacement.

I think the talk at the time was we didn’t know if we’d have enough time to register Kabak so Davies was brought in just in case that fell through. Made a tidy profit on him so it was a pretty shrewd signing.

1 Like

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp described the transfer as a “super move.”

“Rangers is a fantastic club, a big club,” Klopp added on Liverpool’s website.

“Ben belongs on a big stage for sure. European football as well. This presents a proper opportunity to demonstrate his quality and composure.

“As a person he’s as good a guy as you could hope to meet.

“It’s a smart piece of recruitment from Giovanni van Bronckhorst, to be honest. Perfect for all parties. He has himself an accomplished defender, who is entering his peak years and whose character is top drawer.

“We wish Ben nothing but the success he deserves and will be following from here as he goes on to make many achievements during the rest of his career.”

4 Likes

Seems like a good point at which to wrap this up.

4 Likes