Benfica vs Liverpool, (CL QF Away 1st Leg) @ Estádio da Luz (The Original One), 20h00 GMT, Tues 05 Apr 2022

By popular demand (wel it was one demand but it was a popular one), I step once more to fore to lead you all to Champions League glory and TAN immortality. Benfica away for the first leg in this quarter final and they won’t be easy pushovers no matter how much some of us think it will be. That said, we should have too much for these away and at home and it is probably the best draw we could have hoped for so as long as we don’t underestimate them and take the result for granted we should be okay.

Seems like we have the full squad to choose from again although I have been away for the past two weeks so forgive me if I’ve missed a niggle. Gomez to start at RB for me with Trent to come on second half to build up to City otherwise it’s all the usual suspects along the back. Thiago, Fab and Henderson in midfield and any three of the five lads upfront.

Aaaaaaaaand, they’re off…

15 Likes

vs Benfica

Alisson
Trent Konate Matip Tsimikas
Ox(or Jones) Fabinho Thiago
Salah Mané Díaz

vs City

Alisson
TAA Matip VvD Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Thiago
Salah Firmino Mané

3 Likes

Nah, I don’t want Ox nowhere near starting this game.

8 Likes

Hopefully Naby will be available and he can start with Fabinho and Thiago in midfield, Trent back in and Konate also sadio and Diaz.

0-3! all the rest I leave up to Klopp!

2 Likes

I reckon Jota starts against one of the two games forsure.

1 Like

Wanted to give our five main attackers a start and didn’t even realize that did not put Diogo in :sweat_smile:

Guess the ‘problem’ is that Mo starts every game until he signs a new contract :joy:

1 Like

I agree with German Reds teams with the exception that i wouldn’t risk Thiago in this game. I’d probably play millie, keep Hendo Thiago and Fab fully fit for City as this is the more important game. Even if we lose this game we can repair the damage at home, lose to City and i think it’ll be close to impossible to catch them. In saying this i know the boss will play the strongest team in both games. Fingers crossed that Thiago will survive both if he does that. He’s been brilliant lately but i still worry he’ll break playing 2 games in a week.

1 Like

Would expect Matip to not play three in a row so I expect this is VVD and Konate

4 Likes

Do you mean so he can start against City?

4 Likes

Yeah that’s my feeling, I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see him against Benfica at all to be fair.

4 Likes

VVD will def play both and Ox neither

3 Likes

Usually, he doesn’t play 3 in a week. But I think twice this season he did. We’ll see, unlikely but not impossible.

Probably depend on the result, I don’t think he plays this but he may play the second if it’s 1-0 or worse.

Tuesday to Sunday potentially opens that opportunity up, I don’t see the issue in Konate starting though and Klopp trusts him.

I would line up:
Ali
Trent (if fit, Gomez if not but try and get TAA some minutes)
Konate
VVD
Robertson
Fabinho
Thiago
Keita (if fit, Jones or Elliott if not)
Diaz
Jota
Mane

I think we can take a chance on a few, we’ve got Anfield to come and without away goals rule it’s less of a risk to come away with a 0-0 though.

I’d go as strong as possible here and batter them, so that we can rest players in the second leg. With the five subs rule, we can take players off as necessary.

We have to remember that we the FA Cup semi coming up after the second leg next week.

6 Likes

Best part of 5 days rest before City probably means JK will go close to full strength. Think it will be Alisson - TAA, Konate, VVD, Robbo - Hendo, Fabinho, Thiago - Mo, Mane, Diaz.

4 Likes

Jolly well put sir. We need to have every single ounce (thanks BREXIT) of athletic ability and talent on the pitch against City. We get a second bite at the Benfica cherry. I suspect Klopp will do minimal shuffling and hope to go almost full strength both games. How that pans out we’ll see. But I’d go soft HARD and then see where we are.

1 Like

Smash them. They’re shit.

We’re winning this cunt.

8 Likes

I’m sure that Jürgen and his team will know the personnel, formation and tactics to see us through this game. COYR YNWA :nerd_face:

6 Likes

Five subs available too.

1 Like