Blud, it's the Arsenal shithouse FC thread, fam

Spurs lost to Paco de Fereira yesterday, I think it’s much too soon to call them resurgent. The malaise at Spurs and Arsenal runs far too deep to be sorted out quickly.

I understand that. But what are the odds 4 people who are vaccinated and all attended the same party then all test positive? Seems strange to me.

1 Like

Whilst the club may not be able to not pay them, they could possibly put them on Statutory Sick Pay for the time they are unavailable. Would drop their wage to £90 odd per week.

2 Likes

Pretty good I would say. They would have been in close proximity with each other and the source of their infection.

If they test positive , they have to be isolated whether they have symptoms or not.

2 Likes

That is totally spursy and therefore all the evidence we need they are resurgent.

1 Like

Liverpool, Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Leicester…if its not Arsenal, who else is a club that ticks the boxes of being well supported and traditionally competitive?..as far as they have sank, they arent below the bitters…surely…

1 Like

I just don’t know. This is my wife’s area of expertise and I’m not waking her up to ask. With age comes experience :slight_smile:

Still, because of this, Arsenal dont have their main goal scorers and could be bottom of the table with 0 points after 3 games.

1 Like

You’re very naughty. I’m obviously referring to City Villa.

2 Likes

Nah, they couldn’t. They could fine them though if they broke club/league rules. Up to two weeks wages which would cover their likely absence.

3 Likes

I think it’s important to understand that many of the decisions that caused Arsenal’s fall were driven by Wenger himself. There was often a focus on how they couldnt afford to keep their best players, but the issue was they choose to enact an egalitarian wage structure. They couldnt afford to pay Van persie what he was worth because they were paying the likes of Diaby the same salary for the sake of squad harmony.

I dont know that you get to be credit with stopping the wheels completely falling off in a situation in which you are responsible for the overall state of the situation.

But yeah, what has seemed nuts is that their attempts to put in place an actual structure has been so haphazard and bipolar.

2 Likes

That obviously had a negative effect on the club but there was clearly a decline in the standard of player they brought in which wasn’t just a wage issue. Question is how much of a role did Wenger play in hindering the improvement of that?

Well yeah, you cannot bring in top players if you 1) don’t pay them and 2) make them watch all the other good players leave first. The game changed and he refused to change with it, and over the course of 3-4 years lost almost his entire squad of players who anyone decent would have wanted. Ozil was a reaction to finally learning the lesson, but by that point they were too far in a hole and kept making the wrong decisions out of panic.

1 Like

Selling one of the better keepers in the league and going on to buy one of the poorest for more money is just typical of the kind of decision being made at that club nowadays.

1 Like

In defence though… He may have been a bit of a cnut behind the scenes

1 Like

He saved them getting beat 4 or 5 nil every week then.

I think that’s a rather dubious use of stats to be honest.

1 Like

Watching the Chelsea match, I can only say I hope Arsenal defend like this when they host Liverpool the next time. Probably the worst defending I’ve seen in a match of this magnitude. Yes, Chelsea are levels above them but it shouldn’t be hard to perform the basics like keeping a semblance of an offside line or having a fullback cover his winger/wingback.

6 Likes

Pathetic start. Haven’t scored a goal while conceding four. Have to travel to City next week. How long can Arteta last or is it cheaper to keep him?

1 Like

I don’t think the problem is so much about getting rid of Arteta, but more who can they realisticly bring in?

Which manager is there currently out of work that would be willing to sour their reputation that much to join Arsenal?

3 Likes

Whoever they get to replace him, if it gets to that point, it has to be someone who doesn’t mind building with a young core. Can’t just get rid of Arteta now and get someone with a more short term win now type of approach.

If they get to that point I’d like to see what the Brighton coach could do with that team, looks like a potentially good match to me.

1 Like

The problem Arsenal have is that their fans and the media still see them as one of the ‘big’ clubs, so they will insist on getting a manager for the here and now, not one that will build for the future.

1 Like