Breaking News Thread

To be honest, if I were minded to seal myself in a can and go three miles to the bottom of the sea to look at the Titanic, the point where I’d back out would be when I saw the word ‘Titan’ on the side of it.

1 Like

Yes, the claim of 96 hours of life support appears to have been 96 hours of oxygen supply, based on who knows what calculation. People start observing negative effects as low as 1000 ppm (400 pm atmosphere at sea level). There is a scrubber, but the system seems fairly basic - and if there is a power failure, it won’t be working. At that point, they can get to 2000 ppm in less time than the oxygen supply.

3 Likes

…and it’s called ‘Titan’ you say?

17 bolts, if it survives those pressures, there aren’t many devices that can generate the force necessary to blow it out without generating catastrophic blowback inside.

1 Like

on a different note. yikes.

Would such a rapid decompression instantly kill them anyway?

Yeah, pressure would kill them instantly at that depth and no time to make a seal as it wasn’t designed for it. Not like the ISS.

I don’t think so, because the air inside a submarine is not pressurized. Maybe at those extreme depths a pressurization effect occurs? But you can safely ride and surface quickly from depths that would be lethal for a scuba diver. If the ‘can’ is still intact, it is still resisting the external pressures.

1 Like

The pressure in the capsule is atmospheric. Bends have no affect. If it all goes to plan.

Here’s an awkward hypothetical. Say we can contact them and they’re on the bottom. We can’t rescue them for 5 days. There’s 5 of them currently alive. They have one day’s oxygen left for 5 people.

Short straws?

If I were to embark on such an expedition, I’d insist on bringing a cheeky cyanide pill or at least a massive bag of heroin.

Then again, I said the same about my mother in law’s birthday party.

1 Like

Time for some good old austerity … Oh no wait that’s for when inflation and interest rates are low!
What does this call for … ?
Oh yes! a useless leader of the opposition and a spineless sardine!

1 Like

£250,000 per head for this expedition.

I wonder how much a Guinness costs at the Irish bar they certainly have down there.

That’s a tad over half of the cost for a ride on the Virgin Galactic SpaceShip 2.
And no, I don’t believe there’s a bar on the craft but you have probably just given Dick Branson an idea. Maybe he could charge a few thousand quids or more for a sip in weightlessness.

Presumably it would have to be served from a can with a widget? I’m just curious as to how those things would work in weightless conditions. I’m assuming that they have never tried it on the ISS because there is a high likelihood that they would write the thing off.

Apparently (according to a former commander, hello Monkey Cage) one of the biggest problems they have on the ISS is stopping people who are there for the first time doing the floating water trick. Had many issues with it in the past but it’s the first thing people want to see. She also said the key job she instigated after a few days there was to get a load of velcro and label all the loose things on the station and then generate a map. She said you could never find anything when she arrived, could when she left. Brilliant! You just need to look at the videos of the inside to see how Heath Robinson it is.

1 Like

Debris found according to BBC……

1 Like

If there’s debris, it’s broken up and there’s no hope for them.
Rich peoples “bucket list” activities which put volunteer rescuers at risk should come with a fucking massive fine, or jail if rescuers are killed/injured trying to rescue them

4 Likes

Came across an article earlier that had concerns regarding stress fatigue in the hull.

This one

In a 2020 interview with GeekWire, Mr Rush said tests were conducted which revealed that the Titan’s hull “showed signs of cyclic fatigue”.

That retired sub expert who ruminated on YouTube elsewhere noted that that was the big reason the USN stopped looking at carbon fibre. Hard to predict when it will fail.

Dumb question - does carbon fibre float? Trying to figure out what debris would reach the surface.

1 Like