Breaking News Thread

No question there. And Priti as it was obvious there was going to be trouble.

1 Like

You routinely get the wrong end of the stick.

4 Likes

@Mascot This can clearly be read both ways. That’s why I ask.

1 Like

I am not saying you all need to have a sign on your forehead ’ I am not a Psycho/Murderer. You have no idea what women go through.

We need abit of support instead of dismissing our safety concerns. There are a lot of things they can do, keep the space, not walk right behind us or in our faces.

The link below shows what women have to go through, I have been through a few incidents myself years ago. There are times, I went into a shop, until the perp who was following me was gone or i ran into someone’s front garden, where there lights were on in the house, pretending it was my house.

3 Likes

Is there any male member of the forum who is not supportive of ensuring women can walk our streets and feel safe? :thinking: You know, just one poster, let alone ALL of us.

2 Likes

Here are some practical things we men can do to help women feel safe.

It basically comes down to

a) Make noise and be visible. Don’t make it seem like you are trying to be quiet.

b) Keep your distance. If a women is walking ahead of you, drop back. If she quickens her pace, definitely don’t do the same. Cross the road if you can.

c) Don’t box her in. If you have to pass a women, make sure you pass on the wall side of the street, or just be aware that as you pass the woman might be thinking about how she escapes from you if necessary - so don’t unintentionally block her escape.

This isn’t in the article I posted, but it is still important. Possibly more important than anything else. Don’t make it about you.

Put your ego away. Women know the vast majority of men aren’t going to hassle them or attack them. But the problem is that so many do, and getting unwanted attention in public is so common, that they don’t know who they can and can’t trust. That’s just the way it is, and if a women feel scared in your company, that’s not a judgement on you personally - it’s just the reality of the situation we all find ourselves in. There is no good getting offended at them thinking you might attack or hassle them - they don’t know you, and from their experience, you might.

Meanwhile, as a man it’s your duty to show absolute zero fucking tolerance to any man letting down your gender, and creating the circumstances we are all suffering from. So call out bullshit opinions and ideas (Like catcalling is just a bit of friendly banter, or women shouldn’t dress a certain way, and do certain things) wherever they appear.

13 Likes

Thank you Mascot :+1: :clap:
You get our concerns!

Edit: i am not saying all men are evil, my best mates are male and they always looked out for the women and dropped them of in a safe place or home.

3 Likes

Yep, really useful pointers. I posted a similar thread in the non-breaking news thread last week.

2 Likes

No examples then? Didn’t think so.

1 Like

The tsunami of emotion is rightly justified regards this safety matter…
Unfortunately, with what happened to Sarah it has brought real focus to what should have always been, real concerns.
Last nights vigil was exactly that, a vigil. Not a demonstration, not a revolt, just somewhere people needed to release emotion and show support in a ‘gone but never forgotten’ moment… The policing, whether it was necessary or not last night, has been set-up to act against worse case scenario.
To me, the police lines lacked the empathy and hierarchy supervision the situation cried out for!
As someone else has already mentioned…
the police are not best at policing themselves or more importantly their behaviour

2 Likes

If you look at that thread, there are still too many pathetic male snowflakes moaning about their hurt feelings. It’s nauseating.

2 Likes

Who is the question aimed at? And why the question at all?

1 Like

Because of this sarcasm, which was totally unwarranted

2 Likes

Whilst I agree with the concept of this, if you do engage in a,b and c then you’re one creepy bastard to start with.

1 Like

Kate has also felt unsafe at times, before she married into the Royal family.

1 Like

@Mascot @Kopstar I understand the B and the C. But if someone makes unnecessary noises, isn’t that going to make the lady more uneasy? Same with visibility.

I’m sorry Maria, but unfortunately that only seems to be a PR event to me. It looks like she is not wearing a mask because she wants to be recognized, usually you´ll never see her without a mask.
Just imagine how the press would have reacted if Meghan had walked between these crowds without a mask. :roll_eyes:

But I totally believe that she used to feel unsafe either. We have all had bad experiences and unfortunately that happens to all women sooner or later.

5 Likes

Yes, I was wondering why she wasn’t wearing a mask, good point.

2 Likes

I’m going on what I’ve heard women say, but it’s knowing someone is there but they are trying to be quiet is the scary thing.

Someone making noise, like talking on their phone, coughing, humming or whatever, is more reassuring because the person is obviously not trying to conceal their presence.

4 Likes

Not sure Kate Middleton turning up without a mask was as simple as a PR stunt. If it was, it would have more to do with her throwing her weight behind the movement for vulnerable woman having to walk the lonely streets at night. With the amount of times she has been photographed wearing a mask, to me, these days, she is as recognisable with one as without one…
Meghan is unlikely to have walked to the vigil unless it had self-serving benefits to her.!

1 Like