Breaking News Thread

1 Like

Everyone pointing fingers at everyone else - hardly surprising. That’s 4 leaks now on the pipeline.

No mention of the harm to the environment being caused by these leaks.

3 Likes

Yet it’s another attack on nature and climate. I’m afraid that there are parts of our species who are on a collective suicide trajectory. Absolute fucking lemmings.

2 Likes

The people doing this don’t care. They’re not affected. They’ll just use their wealth and power to secure themselves. Who cares about the peasants?

1 Like

Ultimately, the rich will feel the negative effects of global warming and pollution too. And there are people not so rich who find themselves ready to execute their foolish orders.

But the simple peasants will suffer first of course, you’re right. Then, the rich will follow suit as well though. For instance, by having their heads put on spikes by a hungry/angry crowd.

2 Likes

This is big news imo…God I hope it is him, for his brother’s sake.

His poor mother…

5 Likes

There are pictures circulating on merseyside purporting to be of this guy nursing a baby…

2 Likes

If I were a billionaire I would be throwing everything I have at climate change, because the inherent worth of cash is one of the first things to disappear if/when we induce climate Armageddon.

4 Likes

This is a far worse tragedy than initially reported.
Utterly devasted for those poor fans and the families involved.
RIP
You’ll never walk alone.

4 Likes

I will not be surprised if it is even more. Unfortunately in these parts of the world, football fans can be fanatic to the point of being crazed and then on the other hand, infrastructure and authorities are dodgy and lives are worth nothing. To them, the citizens are just numbers and not human beings.

1 Like
7 Likes

Just seeing the news and video footage of the football tragedy in Indonesia. Such horrific scenes.
May those who have fallen RIP.

(Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji’un).

5 Likes

Sad that this happens.

A nice compact city with nice people.
I’ve been to Malang (near Surabaya) quite a number of times since the early 1990s, with my last trip five and a half years ago.
Resorts, apple plantations, a quaint fish restaurant and a tranportation museum with vintage cars, bikes and plentiful other road vehicles. Models of sailing ships and also the Titanic.
Some actual old planes as well such as a very first generation Boeing 737 airliner.
Even a vastly scaled down - but still several stories high - Saturn 5 Apollo moon rocket replica (with somewhat inacurate proportions).
On my way home, my flight was delayed from early morning to late at night by a “minor” spewing of smoke and ash from the nearby Mount Bromo volcano. Some planes of other airlines do take off and land, but Garuda on which I was booked, played it safe.

This footballing disaster notwithstanding, do swing over to Malang if you happen to visit Indonesia.

1 Like

Yeah had the Sky news note pop up on my screen just as I was going to sleep, the footage was very distressing. Sadly the problem with this world are always the people living on it.

1 Like

Lula (48%) and the Fascist (43%) advance to the second round (October 30) of the Brazilian presidential election.

2 Likes

Do ‘these parts’ include neighbouring Singapore?

You know people always think that Singapore being very rich and modern would be free from these issues, but if we look hard enough there will be. Infrastructure of course we may not run into problems like some other countries in the region. Authorities are by far more SOP and humane when dealing with the general public. However, there are still some segments of the population like our migrant workers especially those in the construction and sanitary sectors who can be subject to very regimental treatment. Of course, in comparison to many places, you may not call it ill treatment but in comparison to what the rest of us enjoy in Singapore, you would find them not given the fair treatment. I do some volunteer work with the migrant workers and some of them who has worked in Singapore for almost 30 years told us, that in 3 decades that they still do not have a Singaporean that they can call a friend. That is sad and a reflection of how we as a country look at these people as just “a number” who builds our nation.

3 Likes

Shite… I was hoping that Lula would get enough votes to be declared winner after the first round. As it is, anything can happen between now and October 30.

Simone Tebet (4.2%) is a rightwing candidate while Ciro Gomes (3%) is a center-left candidate, so it’s still knife-edge.

4 Likes