Breaking News Thread

Yeah they really need to be stopped before it’s too late. Only yesterday, the far-right finance minister said that Huwara, the town which was subjected to attacks from Jewish settlers, should be erased by the Israeli state.

These people are batshit crazy, and it’s time for the democrats within the population in Israel to wake up and smell the coffee before it’s too late.

7 Likes

I was reading an article the other day (possibly from Haaretz) in which they were pointing out how the right-wing conservative movements were trying to isolate secular Jewish Israelis as some sort of enemy of the state. The trope was typically the “Self-hating Jew” one which seems to be bandied about to shut down opposition voices. It’s all deeply unpleasant.

3 Likes

Never mind the fact that we are already witnessing a third Palestinian intifada (it’s just that no-one wants to call it one ) , there is now the very real possibility that you could see political violence between Jewish political factions. It’s not like there’s no history of it already , re:the assassination of Yitzhak Rabin. Netanyahu’s govt. also recently promised to make it easier for ordinary citizens (read that as settlers) to get firearms. (I’m not sure that’s looking like such a great idea now.) The place is an absolute tinderbox at the moment , and its all down to one man’s attempt to immunise himself from prosecution.

I wrote somewhere else recently that after Putin , he was probably the most dangerous man on the planet , but that was speaking from a foreign affairs angle. He’s now proving himself to be also the single greatest threat that the State of Israel has had to contend with since its inception. And yet he still has the gall to describe others as fifth columnists.

5 Likes

Imagine if Corbyn said that…

The BBC are digging a massive hole for themselves. They are already have lost credibility in the way the present news and political debate programmes.They have forced Gary Lineker to be suspended from his job, saying that ‘Gary Lineker is taking a step back from MOTD duties’, Gary says otherwise.

Ian Wright is standing up for his friend. Well done Ian Wright! :clap: :clap:

7 Likes

BBC may have shot themselves in the foot with this one.

Shearer, Wright, Scott, Jenas and Richards all refusing to appear on MOTD tomorrow.

Leaves them with Danny the wet squid Murphy hosting and providing all of the analysis :sleeping:

They’re all kind of shit anyway, especially Lineker.

While people are saying it’s an own goal, it might actually lead to higher viewing figures for people who want to see the car crash.

Short term view. Long term this will do great damage to BBC’s claim of impartially

1 Like

I haven’t considered them impartial for decades

Nice show of solidarity. Lineker is a good lad, I’ve always had time for him (he was a lovely player too). He takes slight digs at us Liverpool fans at occasions, but he’s a Leicester fan, so I can pardon him for his friendly banter. And he’s totally right to speak out about the current scandal, and about the cowardly vermin currently in charge of this beautiful country.

He’s also right to compare its mentality to what happened in the thirties. Vermin mentality must be stood up against, otherwise it multiplies and you end up with the devil knows what. So, well done Gary for taking a stand, and next time you present MOTD again, I’ll watch.

10 Likes

I take it you mean you haven’t?

Also noteworthy that the current BBC boss has monetary links with Boris.

Can’t stand match of the day and have not watched it for years.

1 Like

Rumours of commentators not showing up either and possibly even players declining to do mandatory media with the BBC.

Fair to say they’ve picked the wrong hill to die on here. A distraction from the Tory’s other failings for a bit but truly shown the depths they’ll stoop to.

4 Likes

As a news day, you’ve got to love today.

Instead of “Earthquake Kills 50,000” we have “Lineker Tossed from MOTD.”

More days like today, please.

2 Likes

Sorry yes :yum:

I would just like to add that I won’t be presenting MotD tomorrow either…

I think pundits in general are overpaid and don’t add anything to my enjoyment of football (in fact, they quite often do the opposite).

But as a matter of principle we have to back them on this one.

2 Likes