Bundesliga / German NT

Leipzig beat Dortmund 1-4. Emre Can probably the worst players on the pitch.

1 Like

Marco Meyerhöfer of Fürth with a similar ankle injury like Harvey Elliot.

Just watched the game. Not a good day for him, no. Could have ended with him getting sent off for the tackle on Nkunku towards the end. On the other end of the scale: Konrad Laimer. Talk about a one man pressing machine, his work capacity is phenomenal. Great with the ball as well in this game.

I thought Leipzig were really good, felt they had the match under control after they rode the first 15 or so. Counter-attacked really well, playing quickly through Dortmund’s counter-press. Which wasn’t the best, obviously. And three of their goals were brilliant, especially the first and third.

By the way, you should put a warning on the sort of image you posted after this one. Not everyone wants to see graphic images of serious injuries.

2 Likes

He looks progressively worse than the player at Anfield and I was never truly sold on him.

2 Likes

He’s what now, 27? And no one, not least himself, still knows what he actually is as a player.

I think sometimes the challenge of switching position, or playing players out f position, is over stated. In most cases you are better off having the better player on the pitch regardless of position than you are a weaker player who’s most comfortable (albeit worse) in that position. But Can I think is a great example of having his head fucked by everyone’s inability to figure out what he actually is. Im sure he played a role in that by having strong feelings about how he should be played that went against what every one else saw, and if he was better maybe a manager at some point down the line would have committed to one role, but I think it’s a relevant issue.

1 Like

Laimer will be 25 next month.

He’s still only 24, actually, turns 25 next month.

Nagelsmann sometimes used him as a wide midfielder or wing back, I think, but also centrally. For me he’s kind of a prototype 433 midfielder, as a shuttler/box to box guy.

But I think there’s something to what you’re saying. In terms of work capacity, pressing, ball-winning and energy he’s incredible. Quick as well. Maybe it makes him too versatile for his own good.

1 Like

Hertha is abysmal :sob:

1 Like

I really like Laimer, been saying that for a while. He missed almost all of last season due to injury which was a shame. A proper midfield engine who’s decent technically. I think he’d make a really good squad player here as that safe pair of hands #8 (like Gini) or emergency #6. Although he’s played in a million different positions at Leipzig, as have most of their players, he’s not a wide player in any serious top level side. Maybe an emergency right back, that’s it.

1 Like

No idea why that quoted Laimer as I was responding to the comment about Can

Aha :smile:

I thought you were drawing parallels between Laimer and Can, in terms of versatility and not settling on a position.

I’m definitely not that literary :rofl:

VfB Stuttgart’s biggest home game of what’s left of the season against Dortmund. This fixture has had a fair few heavy beatings but also the greatest game I ever saw not involving the Reds.
The legendary 4:4 in 2011
Flick and Löw are in the stadium tonight
My son’s filling the beers outside

5 Likes

Borna Sosa could attract some interest this summer regardless what happens with Stuttgart, stay up and especially if they go down. Lefties are always wanted, he’s either a LWB (so far his best role) or LB, 3 goals and 22 assists in 77 games for them.

1 Like

Reyna off under tears once again very early.

Shit. Goal by Brandt disallowed and then correctly given by VAR. Not what I wanted at all.

Dortmund look further away than ever from having the quality to give Bayern a run for their money.

1 Like

Yeah, they struggle to get it consistently right. Not watching this game, but I was a bit disappointed with how easily Leipzig tore them apart recently.

The new generation of American superkids are soft as fuck.

You Have A Point Reaction GIF by CBS

1 Like