Caoimhin KELLEHER: 2020/21

What a game from the lad, eh? Incredible really. He seemed to tick all the boxes in terms of quality: dominating his box on high balls, distributing the ball very well, with his hands and his feet, dealing with any backward pass without any fuss, stopping anything thrown at him (and there were some really dangerous shots), making a wonder-save on Huntelaar’s header.

He kept his cool and his concentration throughout and most importantly, looked like a rock at the back for his team-mates. My MoM without the shadow of a doubt. He didn’t put a foot wrong during the whole game, and turned the game. That save he made one minute before Jones scored our goal, was instrumental for our win, and it wasn’t an easy one by any means.

Klopp running towards him and hugging him big time after the end of the game told the whole story. Without him, we could easily have lost that game.

Like most of us I suppose (apart from those who have been watching our youth teams on a regular basis), I hadn’t seen much from him before yesterday night. But based on this game, he seems heads and shoulders above Adrian at this point. If Alli isn’t back for Wolves, the lad has to be Klopp’s natural choice now to deputise for him until he comes back. He isn’t a kid anymore, and in the perfect age to make even further progress at this level.

Brilliant! :+1:t2:

7 Likes

Looks assured and grew in confidence. I think its worth having him play in cup games and that Alisson is out, to put him against Wolves

1 Like

Was shocked to see Queevo picked and, to be perfectly honest, even more shocked to see how well he stepped up. Made up for him getting such a positive performance and reaction. I hope people show patience and understanding though because not every performance will be such a bit. Only need to look how some people act toward Neco Williams now and Trent Alexander-Arnold a few seasons ago to see not all of our fans show the patience these developing prospects need sometimes.

1 Like

He will no doubt make mistakes, what will make him is if he shrugs them off or basically lets them eat him up like Karius and to be honest Adrian as well.

He has to play against Wolves (Unless we see a miracle with Ali), the backline trust him which is far more than they do with Adrian.

2 Likes

I’m sure he was called a lot worse growing up in Cork!

3 Likes

Delighted for him. He’ll obviously make mistakes but as I’ve said before, I’d rather he was making them than Adrian. At least Kelleher has the potential to develop.

7 Likes

Just seen sky rename him kareen keller though[quote=“CanuckoLFC, post:16, topic:1312, full:true”]
Some funnies from PaddyPower (love some of the responses in the last tweet):

[/quote]

Haven’t claimed him yet but just seen sky rename him Kareen Keller though

2 Likes

Also Kevin.

With Irish, whenever in doubt, turn it into a V sound.

1 Like

By Dublin men no doubt :wink:

4 Likes

Quee-veen
Kell-a-herr

1 Like

Not just “that top cunt in goal”?

Yeah, maybe not totally replace Randolph yet, but maybe get a debut in a friendly or something.

1 Like

Irish Blood
Scouse Heart

I once saw a banner at Anfield.

7 Likes

There were a few comments in-match that were not happy with the long ball play, but it is fairly clear Kelleher was playing them under instruction to do so. Between the number of long passes, Klopp citing his ball playing abilities as a reason for calling on him, and the obvious emphasis on quick distribution, the coaching staff must have either seen something Ajax wanted to do, or a vulnerability they wanted to exploit.

9 Likes

Or they showed him video of Adrian and Gomez in the Villa game and said “dont fuck around with it.”

10 Likes

He also cited the fact he could stop shots!

That’s a much bigger burn directed towards Adrian than anything I’ve seen in here :rofl:

7 Likes

If that was the instruction, he took it to heart.

2 Likes

Yeah when I read he can stop shots and is good with his feet I was thinking ouch.

I do feel he has lost patience with Adrian, tell the guy has lost confidence in himself.

3 Likes

I didn’t hear the shot stop remark as a dig at Adrian. I heard it more as, Kelleher was brought in because he can play the ball, which is not to say he can’t stop shots.

6 Likes