Caoimhin KELLEHER: 2021/22

He’s the second choice at Liverpool. Is he really going to be a first choice at a midtable premier league team. If so , and the likes of Leeds etc approach , do a loan offer.

Don’t think so. Just that article posted a while back in one of the threads mentioning we are on the look out

Really could do with not looking for yet another player. Feels everyone wants out.

Yeah although it is inevitable that Kelleher can’t stay forever.

For what it is worth I think Jaros was the better goalkeeper when they were coming through at youth level, he picked up that unfortunate injury in our pre-season tour a few year ago but has bounced back by impressing at both St Pat’s and Notts County. Could definitely do worse than promoting him to the first team if Kelleher wants to leave.

Pitaluga and Ojrzynski are probably a bit raw to be first team back ups - although I thought the same of Kelleher.

Then we could go for some of these old free agents. Ben Foster or Alex McCarthy, they’re pretty average but it’s a back up GK who cares.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind Ben Foster, I’d swerve on McCarthy mind.

With our number 2 and Alisson they may be expected to be called on at some point. If we can keep Kelleher for another season I would like that. Unless we were offered a lot, I doubt I’d loan out, no point at his age.

1 Like

Maybe we could offer him the shirt for both CC and FA Cup matches next season, always potential to drop out early of course but equally could be a good number of games for a young keeper.

We need a backup keeper who is very comfortable with ball at feet. So if Kelleher goes (on loan or otherwise) we can’t just bring in any ol’ hack ala Adrian, especially as you’d expect that Allison will give him opportunities to play 5 or more games.

Yeah, some of those old/cheap/free are I think more options to replace Adrian as the #3 choice, not as Ali’s direct backup.

No news on Adrian yet, his contract will expire this month, maybe it’s not impossible that they give him another year in the same #3 role.

You’d hope Kelleher agrees to stay one more season. If not, then obviously we’ll need someone who we believe is a good fit stylistically.

Much too good to be warming the bench…

Move on lad…you should be playing regularly at the very top level.

Foster would be my choice as a replacement.

Foster isn’t good enough with his feet - he’d be an Adrian replacement, not a Kelleher replacement. Imagine if Ali picks up a serious injury and we’re playing with Foster for a long stretch of the season - we’d be fucked - as much as we would be if Adrian was playing.

I’d much rather he stayed, but I’d understand if he wants out - loans unlikely at this stage too I suspect.

On Foster - he’s a top bloke - as he’s shown through his podcasts etc, but in terms of the footy - nah.

exactly. Cant let Kelleher go if Foster is the replacement.

Wouldn’t want Foster or McCarty. Both woeful with their feet and looking at Adrian you can see what a lack of confidence with the ball can do to a whole team at times even if it’s just the keeper. Ben Foster I’m not sure how great he is with the ball but doubt it’s as bad. Not sure if Jürgen will be keen with him being so open online with info. Would like him to record stuff though, great for fan viewing lol so I’d like him to join.

1 Like

If he is replacing Adrian fair enough but we would need a number two if Kelleher goes, he isn’t going be our number 1 so a loan is pointless.

McCarthy is rubbish in every sense, Travers at Bournemouth wouldn’t come but he would be a decent number two.

If Kelleher does want to play regularly, why not tie him down long-term and let him go on a long-term loan deal, similar to what Chelsea did with Courtois? We can’t guarantee Ali will not want to move on 2-4 years down the line, so why not have a safety net.

2 Likes

He signed a long term deal last summer, when he only had a year left. It’s up to 2026. I also think long term loans will not be possible anymore, not more than for one season.

Out of interest, why not?

1 Like

Playing against Robbo today. Nice embrace in tunnel

1 Like

I think he’s only recently signed a contract, so I think we’re within our rights to tell him to sit tight for a year, with an agreement he can go next summer.

1 Like

Kelleher played in all three NL games and likely to start against Ukraine tonight as well. Great boost to his morale and fitness.