Caoimhin KELLEHER: 2022/23

Jürgen said in the press conference today that he doesn’t see Kelleher going anywhere.

1 Like

…unless the offer is big.

This seems far more part of the dance than something to taken at face value.

1 Like

I agree, his comments seem more geared towards driving up the price

Should’ve done better at one and could’ve done better at another goal yesterday. I don’t think it will change anything over potential suitors this summer. Whether is happens this summer or next (when he will have 2 years left on his deal and it would normally be time to cash in)… we’ll see. The advantage is that he could possibly get EL group stage games next season (along with the League Cup as he does), maybe a few knockout ones more. But we might also need the money we could potentially get from a few players this summer. I know Klopp said he’s not for sale, but do we really expect him to come out and say “yeah, we’re open to selling for at least £20m”, no.

Bit from today’s article in the Athletic:

Kelleher’s situation is more complex. Klopp publicly stated that only a huge offer would tempt the club into a sale, but the Irish international is ready to be a first-choice goalkeeper and the expectation is that he will depart. Liverpool would like to keep Kelleher, who they view as one of the best back-up goalkeepers in the league.

If he departs, a new back-up goalkeeper would be required. Adrian is set to sign a new contract but would remain third choice. Youngsters Davies and Pitaluga are viewed as prospects and not ready to step up to become second choice yet.