Caoimhin KELLEHER: 2022/23

Phwoar not asking for much there are ya Pro, I on the other hand came from a world where you crawled before you learned how to walk but it’s always hard to judge #2’s simply because they play very little…rarely you’ll find a #2 who plays more than 10 games a season unless their getting to cup finals or their #1 is out for months.

Could see something like Adrian leaving on a free, getting a decent fee for Kelleher, bringing a new experienced goalie on a free or cheap (hopefully more reliable than Adrian) and giving Davies the ‘3rd spot’ (potentially to have a similar path/opportunity like Kelleher).

1 Like

What third choices are free we could potentially sign.

Talk of Ron-Robert Zieler.

Would be nice to bring in two homegrown keepers so we’re not wasting a spot there.

Jaros is 22 in July anyone know how his loan is working out this season?

1 Like

He was first choice at Stockport but got injured and has lost his place to Ben Hinchcliffe. They’re going relatively well in League Two so understandably not willing to switch the goalkeeper.

I always come back back to the Jaros/Kelleher comparison and remind myself that I must be a bad judge of goalkeepering talent. Jaros, to me, was miles better than Kelleher when they were both in the academy. Honestly I would have been extremely surprised to know that Kelleher would go on to become a solid backup for us - at times he was absolutely dreadful for the U23s.

Jaros meanwhile was a man mountain. Caught everything, vocal, made good decisions, great reflexes… had everything in my books. I’m pretty sure he was ahead of Kelleher in the pre-season of 2019 Jaros played against Tranmere but got injured in the next training session after a shot freakishly broke his arm and tore ligament off the bone. Missed a lot of the season so by the time he came back Kelleher had already played well for the first team and Jaros had no chance of fighting back in despite making the bench a few times.

Goes to Ireland in 2021 and dominates but in January he went to Notts County and had a bit of a mixed time. Then at Stockport he was 2nd choice to Hinchcliffe at the start, took over him when Hinchcliffe made some errors at the start of the year but missed about 2 months with an ankle injury and has been second fiddle since then.

I’m not ready to give up on Jaros - personally I think he has more talent than Kelleher, Pitaluga or Davies but injuries have really held him back at key development phases. There was also a head injury he suffered at St Pats and I’ve heard reports he hasn’t quite been the same since. I’m not expecting him to become the next #2 here but I’d love to think he could be.

2 Likes

What is the source?

2 Likes

Kelleher starts in goal for Republic of Ireland tonight.

2 Likes

2 shots on target and and no saves for Kelleher.

Was not great tbh. I’d imagine it’s Bazunu for France

Dropped to the bench tonight against France.

Spurs, Brentford and Brighton all want this lad in the summer according to some outlets.
Bidding war!

| Tottenham, Brighton and Brentford all want to sign Caoimhin Kelleher in the summer. Liverpool would be willing to let the goalkeeper leave if their valuation of about £20m is met. [

@Independent_ie

]

1 Like

Kelleher + 20m for Macallister seems reasonable to me.

1 Like

20m asking fee is too low, should be 30m.

1 Like

If he joins Spurs, he should look out for the clause in his contract: ‘Winning trophies is not allowed at this club.’

If Brighton and Brentford want him, I’d keep him, their scouting is great!

I think we should be putting in some sort of buy back or sell on clause if we are willing to sell him for 20mp

Definitely not hating the sound of a bidding war. Kelleher has done really well in most of his appearances but I still struggle to see him ever establishing himself as the #1 here. Alisson is going nowhere for a long time and even if he was leaving I think of Kelleher as a little bit old fashioned for our needs long term - doesn’t have the pace or sweeping ability of Alisson.

Good shot stopper, decent command in the penalty area, seems to be a good personality and his distribution has improved. However, not the most mobile goalkeeper and gets his fair share of injuries.

Getting 20m would be great. That’s half a starting calibre midfielder for a backup GK. It would also be about 1/3 more than Man City got for Gavin Bazunu, who I think is a more talented keeper despite having a hard season.

2 Likes

What’s going on with Raya? I hardly watched Brentford, but I thought he was generally well regarded, only a couple years older than Kelleher.

Brighton looks a good move for everyone.

Latest rumour is that he’s going to Man Utd