China - the irresistible rise

Of course we can’t, on the view of one person, regardless of occupation or position, infer what is happening in the larger context. That is why I put it there as food for thought, because a taxi driver is as everyday person as everyday can be and I suspect in many places, what people really want for a start is for their governments to give them a chance at a decent living for survival before talking up aspirations of other aspects of life. That might differ from society to society of course.

1 Like

Isn’t it likely to stimulate innovation, as people try to devise a way to break their shackles? :thinking:

1 Like
3 Likes

Sad…I already had friends leaving HK for the UK under the BOC scheme. They did not want to leave the place they love but they just do not see a future for their children in the current HK.

3 Likes

I saw the economists had brought forward the predicted rise of the Renminbi to world first reserve currency to 2028; its currently 0.11 of a pound sterling. Unless of course the world bankers get to crash the system first and introduce a global crypto-currency.

2 Likes

:joy:

There’s an added bonus: you can build a shed or something using all the free prawn crackers you’ll receive.

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

Just realised phonetically in English this reads as ‘who are we’! Mad.

1 Like

Or ‘our way’ :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe in Australian…

1 Like

“Experts say a genocide determination would be an enormous embarrassment for China, the world’s second-largest economy and a permanent member of the UN Security Council.”

Oh really; dont know what to make of this given the outgoing Trump administration might seek to divert attention with such stories, but if true, embarrassment is a huge understatement.

4 Likes

With China I tend to adopt a “China understating and the West overstating” stance. I believe the truth is somewhere in between. I think the West is collectively trying to mitigate China’s influence while China is not helping or giving a fuck care by being not the most transparent. I don’t think such tension will change anytime soon

2 Likes

Well I used to take that stance as well. Besides, Western stance towards other regimes has always been dictated by their (Western) convenience. Pinochet!!! Nice guy. Castro!!! Bad dude.

All of the their recent (last 30 years) criticism are purely to counter the ever increasing Chinese hegemony and not due to their commitments for ethnic/religious rights (Uyghurs, Tibet) or freedom of expression/democracy (Tiananmen, HK) etc.

However, by now, we know about a lot of atrocities to concluded that bad things, real bad things, happen beyond the red wall. Besides, I will not forget (or forgive) the fact that China (yes, along with USA) supported the Pakistani regime that carried our genocide in Bangladesh in 1971.

What I want to say is, even between the understating and overstating; the real situation is bad, very bad, for some (which is millions) people.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Some banter the Chinese are having.

It’s a powderkeg

You have to assume that China are involved in the Myanmar coup. At least by giving the generals the green light. It makes perfect sense for them to provoke the West and damage the movement for democracy in one stroke. It’s also hard to envisage the generals going ahead knowing that China was against them. Seems like the Myanmar people are the victims of global power politics once again.

3 Likes

Possibility although the Foreign MInister of China had visited Myanmar after the elections late last year and mentioned Myanmar should continue the path, suggesting that the results of the elections be followed even with all the noise that the military was making.

But whatever it is, it is the people who will suffer. In the grand scheme of things, I have never been a proponent of any type of rule. Whether its military, a democracy or what, the most important thing is that the government strives to work for the good of the country and people (an example is Vietnam, with its communist government but yet the country is seeing huge developments) but from what I know about Myanmar and my friends…this military rule will just send the country back to the dark days…

2 Likes