CL Pre Game incident news/clarifications

Even if there were fake tickets, isn’t that the kind of thing you plan for? Don’t you have procedures in place?
It’s a lame excuse.

4 Likes

" Et comme le Stade de France est situé à Saint-Denis, une région où vit une population d’origine étrangère, notamment maghrébine, plusieurs voix se sont élevées chez l’extrême droite pour accuser des jeunes issues de l’immigration d’être derrière cette pagaille. En effet, sur les réseaux sociaux, plusieurs vidéos montrant des « supporters » originaires d’Afrique du Nord ou sub-saharienne s’installer dans les gradins du Stade de France et squatter des places coûtant plusieurs centaines d’euros.
C’est le cas de ce jeune qui se présente comme un Algérien sans-papiers et qui affirme, dans une vidéo publiée sur Twitter, qu’il s’est introduit dans le Stade de France sans avoir acheté de billet pour prendre une place qui coûte 5000 euros. Dans la vidéo, le jeune Algérien vêtu d’un maillot du PSG se vante d’assister à la finale entre le Real Madrid et Liverpool « gratuitement », non sans glisser une phrase insultante envers la France et non sans crier « 1,2,3 vive l’Algérie ! "

1 Like

Every large city has these things and the English police can’t say it won’t happen here, it did at Wembley last summer.

Evidently it was badly planned and prepared and it’s sadly going play out politically.

Are you familiar with ObservAlgerie? I’m not so I have no idea whether it has a political agenda/bias. I would caution as to whether a single anecdote is actually representative of a wider picture. (This isn’t a criticism of @peterroberts. I think most of us are in the same boat when it comes to unfamiliar media).

1 Like

I caught a bit of the press conference by Gérald Darmanin , Minister of Interior and big defender of the French police. From what I heard it sounds like they are sticking by their lie that the cause of the trouble was ‘tens of thousands’ of Liverpool supporters with counterfeit tickets.

Quelle Surprise !

Fuck 'em.

3 Likes

Never heard of them before , but I can’t imagine why an Algerian publication would be biased against its own. Although I have heard several anecdotes , that piece contains a first-hand witness account by a young Algerian.

1 Like

Its at this point that you hope Merseyside Police do some ground work and pull up some stats of how many supporters travelled etc. The UK and French Authorities will be aware of how many people crossed the borders. Call these cunts out for their lies.

Reports of police pulling media and forcing them to delete footage is telling.

I hope this gets properly investigated and challenged to the highest level.

2 Likes

I’ve had a quick scan through their Twitter feed and it does look pretty ordinary. Not knowing too much about the media landscape (and only knowing a little French) it is difficult to know what to believe.

From the bbc (updated article):

France has hit out at “industrial-scale” ticket fraud at Saturday’s Champions League final despite a raging row over policing of the event.

Ministers acknowledged “difficulties” in managing crowds at the final in Paris, but say organised fraud was the “root cause” of the problems.

Chaotic scenes saw Liverpool supporters with tickets waiting in huge queues, and French police using pepper spray.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson is said to be “hugely disappointed”.

The final was delayed by 35 minutes by the trouble outside the stadium, with Liverpool losing the match against Spain’s Real Madrid 1-0.

Amid a chorus of criticism from the UK, the French sports ministry has been meeting on Monday with Europe’s football governing body Uefa, the French Football Association, stadium officials and police to “draw lessons” from the event.

But France’s interior and sports ministers have been pointing initial blame for the chaos at fans with fake tickets and local youths trying to force their way into the stadium.

Interior minister Gérald Darmanin said “massive, industrial-scale” ticket fraud had caused Liverpool fans to turn up en masse and said that of about 30 people arrested at the Stade de France “more than a half concerned British citizens”.

Speaking earlier on French radio, sports minister Amélie Oudéa-Castéra said there were “no problems” regarding Real supporters and the Spanish side had controlled their travelling fans better than Liverpool.

However, a spokesman for UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson described footage from the Stade de France at the weekend as “deeply upsetting and concerning” and called for a full investigation.

What’s the position of UK politicians and media regarding this issue?

Being a French fuck up they’ll be all over it. Torygraph and Daily Fail already ramping up the correct version for once.

1 Like

That’s a relief. I was afraid that they would just ignore this since it’s Liverpool.

Yeah thankfully a fair few independent sources in the crowd has helped get the opposing view out there.

Frankfurt and Rangers have sent a joint complaint in about the organisation of their final as well.

2 Likes

The overall impression you get from UEFA is a gross combination of complacency, incompetence and entitlement.

Well, they need to be very, very fucking careful. Because if they keep going like this the next time there is a Super League proposal, they might find people are little more willing to hear it out rather than shout it down.

9 Likes

That was my take away from the evening as well.

Winning the final was possibly Perez’ second biggest victory of the night.

1 Like

They are turning out to be pretty useless as governors of the European side of the game. City and CAS, the whole Platini thing and now both of this year’s Euro cup finals. I suspect a few of us maynowbe in favour of a Super League, anything to get away from that shower but I can’t see it going down well with other clubs and supporters. But they certainly need a kick up the ass.

Similar to yourself I was uneasy throughout the game but I purely put it down to how things were increasingly not happening for us. I struggled to get into the game. It dawned on me today that I had the very same feeling watching Heysel unfold. The game didn’t matter. This one didn’t either.

2 Likes

*33 years ago.

I note the article references Liverpool fans climbing fences. Guess what? That’s what our fans did in 1989 too. Why? Because they were being fucking crushed. Same again on Saturday.

2 Likes

There’s a post on RAWK that is bonechilling. Recommend everyone reads it.

6 Likes

In just a few hours the French authorities took more aggressive action against Liverpool fans than they have against Putin in three months.

2 Likes