Climate Catastrophe

I love how the conspiracy theorists are blaming cloud seeding for this.

Also windscreen scraping this AM. Bright and sunny. Raining again now FFS.

Seen the conspiracy stuff too. Iā€™m almost thinking that the whole world has collectively gone stupid (in the majority)

Maybe itā€™s not climate change after all:

But even if it is not, this fully has its place in this thread. Humans playing sorcererā€™s apprentice in order to change climate, wilfully or not. What could possibly go wrong?

2 Likes

cloud seeding doesnā€™t create the humidity in the air. it was already there, they just add the condensate to the atmosphere and pray because itā€™s not an exact science

Chernobyl as an example, Russians cloud seeded to prevent the airborne radiation from reaching Moscow (so the story goes)

2 Likes

Yes according to the book Midnight in Chernobyl. It was due to rain on Moscow on Russia day where they have the big parade in Red Square.

I read that with accent of old Russian woman. fit perfectly.

:laughing:

Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

sassy trailer park boys GIF

1 Like

There are places in the Mackenzie Delta where if you dig with a hand shovel, you can smell methane now

1 Like

I thought methane was odourless? Iā€™ve certainly seen demonstrations where methane can be lit on pools.

1 Like

Yeah, to be clear it is ā€˜sour gasā€™, methane with naturally occurring hydrogen sulphide and similar nastiness.

2 Likes

That used to leak in the rail tunnel at Glasgow Queen Street station. Utterly vile stench.

1 Like

H2s, very nasty stuff

1 Like

A lot of the natural gas in Alberta and BC is sour gas, deposits left by the Jurassic Western Interior Seaway, so the permafrost directly north of those production areas not surprisingly has fairly similar properties.

1 Like

I read somewhere that methane is 80 times more climate warming than CO2. If that is true, and permafrost is starting to melt where it was solid before, the conclusion has to be that we are toast .

But meanwhile, our enlightened leaders increase their countriesā€™ investment in war material, because thatā€™s the most important for our security, isnā€™t itā€¦

1 Like

I think it is about 30 times more than CO2 although it only persists in the atmosphere for around 10 years before becoming CO2.

A big chunk of that is actually from cattle farming.

1 Like

You are both right. Methane has a Global Warming Potential of 86 tonnes CO2e over 20 years, 25 over 100 (because it breaks down into CO2).

The methane release of the tundra/taiga is one of the huge negative feedback loops that terrifies climate scientists, along with the possibility of the Amazon moving away from the massive CO2 to O conversion system that has been to a rather closer to neutral system like the northern boreal forests.

4 Likes

Question: Whatā€™s a Chief Heat Officer???