Climate Catastrophe

The answer to excess heat caused by human activity? Run air conditioning units.

People really are fuckwits.

2 Likes

Yeah, and don’t forget to chop down all the trees and fill-up all the ponds and canals.

1 Like

Bit more humid today.

The evaporative cooler isn’t being that effective.

And the first rain arrives.

What a relief.

3 Likes

#1 reason for increased temperatures in suburban areas, people cut down the trees that keep the ground shaded. a bunch of houses on my street had been sold/bought in last 8 years and about 40 large trees have been taken down. no more shade.

1 Like

Exactly. Portion of our roof is covered by trees and the rooms underneath are 2-5C cooler than the rooms not covered by trees.

People need to stop using concrete as a building material too.

1 Like

part of the problem that people are trying to address here, are the drain tiles which run the perimeter of the home and divert the water away from the foundation. prevents the home from settling over years if excess water isnt’ allowed near the round. as we do live in a temperate rainforest we do get a fair amount of rain

when you have trees taller than your roofline, those leaves can accumulate in the gutters and get washed down into the drain tile itself where they can get stuck and cause problems with the perimeter drain which lead to the storm sewers. Fortunately you can now buy leaf-guards for the gutter system which prevent this from happening.

Still doesn’t keep the yard shaded and cool though.

1 Like

Yes, leaves can be a real issue for drainage. But even the streets are cleared of trees.

my house is 55 yrs old now but has great bones. so I’m slowly turning things over. Fascia and gutters are starting to wear out so those will be next, and once I have the drain tile issue sorted on the west side (am currrently diverting rainwater to the driveway as I have to do some excavation) then I’ll be repaving the driveway.

One thing’s for certain: people won’t be able to say that they weren’t warned.

3 Likes

It is really deja vu, these stories are all the same as circa 2006 - it is just the numbers/targets have shifted. Back in 2006 in Nairobi, the discussion was focused on keeping it to below 1 deg C. I have not looked at a model in years, but the generation I was familiar with all had a significant and understandable hysteresis. I more or less assume the 1.5 deg C is now baked in, and certainly see it in the world I live in. I live in what is now at the border of the Carolinian Forest zone by any meaningful measure, you can see it in the species that are now here that were not just 30 years ago.

1 Like

Article on the BBC at the moment on sea temps.

To my untrained eye it looks like something broke around May 2023.

1 Like

Well they gave the starting of the El Niño event as July 2023 so it was building up that. It’s not specifically that something broke at that point, it’s just that has accentuated it. All of the hottest years on record have been in the last 10 years.

The previous El Niño was 2014-2016 so you can compare it more directly with that. The previous hottest year on record was 2016.

3 Likes

Quite probably, but when you look 2016 is lost in the previous years graphs somwhere. The seperation between them is nowhere near as significant. While 2023 and now 2024 look like step changes that have occurred very abruptly.

1 Like

That graph isn’t particularly readable for that. If you can see the one on the NASA website it shows it on a year by year basis:

If you look at 2014-16 you can see a similar big jump. I suppose these whether events don’t quite fall into nice calendar year blocks.

2 Likes

Cheers. Thats clearer

In one of those damned if you do and damned if you don’t situations.

1 Like

:frowning:

I can remember something similar being said about sulphur emissions from coal power stations. It’s not as if polluting more is ever going to be a solution.

1 Like