Climate Catastrophe

Did you read the article?

Yes, did you watch the video? A full flow staged combustion engine running on methox is far less sooty than the traditional open stage hydrolox. The byproducts are CO2 and water.

If that’s the same one you posted months ago, I’ve already picked that apart earlier in the thread.

No I didn’t, but thankfully you took the bait and explained the point to me.

The article does mention methox as a way to generate less emissions, but doesn’t sound convinced about it.

And as I remember, I didn’t agree with you.

I love the idea of solar, and i’ll be moving to it when I get to Australia as well as going fully electric, but I don’t understand this part of the above article:

A report for Solar Energy UK suggests that a typical home could cut electricity bills by more than ÂŁ300 a year. Households with electric heating could be more than ÂŁ900 a year better off, the report said, although most UK households remain on gas central heating.

If energy bills rise as predicted this winter, then the value of electricity generated through solar panels could almost double, says Kevin Holland, managing director of The Solar Shed, a Norfolk-based renewable energy business.

He says a typical solar panel system could generate ÂŁ1,200 worth of electricity in a year at current prices.

If energy bills rise by 80% in October plus a further 50% in January, as forecast, then the value of electricity generated by a typical system could climb to around ÂŁ3,240.

How does the bold part actually work? UK has maybe 4-5 hours of sunlight in winter on a good day, and that good day is not going to be very intense sunlight. Most days in the UK in winter are dull and overcast, and the days where you need heating on are naturally going to be the days when the weather and therefore sunlight is poor. Unless you purchase a big-arse battery and use every inch of space on the roof for PV panels so that energy can be stored from the good weather days?

In the summer when the days are long and the weather is good, in my house at least, very little electricity is used. Is anybody here on solar and understands how serious savings can be obtained in the UK? Is there a lot to be made selling energy back to the grid in summer to compensate from the lack of solar power generation in the winter when energy demand is much higher? I wouldn’t have thought so.

I presume it’ll be with some combination with a heat pump, so you just increase your efficiency all over, using the generated power to partially power the heat pump.

For what it’s worth, the coldest months usually have slightly better sunshine.

Heat pumps, built them for years, pain in the arse, inefficient and power hungry. Open the coal mines and fuck the polar bears in the short term. Go nuke medium term and go hardcore on reducing population long term. Pretty sure I read once that the guy who ran the countries’ biggest PV installer business now runs the legal firm that’s going after the installers for gear not performing.

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

2 Likes

And you’ll now explain your solution. Preferably with a humerus gif.

How’s this?

What Would You Do GIF by One Chicago

Go get 'em, Greta!

2 Likes

Couldn’t be worse timing though. The idea of taking another fuel out of the mix during an energy crisis is probably a non-starter, but the fundamental criticism there is absolutely correct.

2 Likes

Since Biden got the nomination its been pretty clear that his view of how to address climate issues was not from the obstructive perspective of “stop doing this”, but from the productive perspective of building a green economy. With the IRA that just passed, it’s also clear that they are coupling this with a national security perspective of on-shoring a lot of the bottle necks of having a green economy.

This all seems to make sense, but it also feels like an approach that is misaligned with the moment. The IRA extended the federal rebate for buying an electric car. However, it modified the criteria of which cars qualified to incentivize US production. That makes sense, but what it means is that the rebates have effectively disappeared from the market. Currently too few of the cars on the market would qualify for this domestic production requirement and the steps needed to on shore production take time. So at a time we want to be incentivizing this sort of move, our kill as many birds with one stone approach that feels like the right long term sustainable approach seems like its failing to meet the moment.

Does this seem right, or what am I getting wrong?

It’s ok. Rees-Mogg is to the rescue…

I agree that climate change has played a part and a huge part in this. But Pakistan’s leadership is equally culpable in this as well. They were warning signs in the previous floods as well.

I don’t think Pakistan leadership is any more culpable than 90% of the leaderships around the world (and most of whom claims to be democratic). Besides, Pakistan leadership basically refers to a bunch of people whom the ISI recommends. So, there’s barely any coherent political policy.

4 Likes

Having spent the better part of a generation playing both sides and de facto supporting the Taliban, Pakistan doesn’t really have friends in the West any more. In my books, they can ask the Taliban for the help they need.

1 Like

Years of mismanagement taking funds in from almost every country using that for spending in a meaningless arms race with India instead of using the money to maybe build civilian infrastructure and to be self dependent.

You will be hard pressed to see other countries who have been propped up to the extent Pakistan has.

1 Like

I agree. Even now , Pakistan is trying to play both sides w.r.t their cozying up to China as well as trying to leverage funding from US / world bank etc etc.

They’ve been caught in a severe cyclic debt to China and it’s difficult for them to distance themselves from China now.