Cody GAKPO: 2022/23

That was his best performance so far, still not very good.

He’s very much a player who requires the team to be functioning well, he’s not going to make the difference with individual bits of quality.

Pretty disappointing how lacklustre his movement is, I know he wasn’t billed as being a great runner in behind but I was expecting more than this. He always wants the ball to feet.

2 Likes

Did look a bit better when Nunez came on. But yeah wasn’t great.

Still can’t understand why we didn’t use the money for a CM instead

1 Like

Just be PC - a big lad good with his feet…

Shame we didn’t have an itk in Netherlands who could have given JK the lowdown on this lad before we went ahead.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a strange signing, he has no sort of explosiveness at all. The complete opposite of every other forward signing.

We have 1 at Anfield…in fact he’s stood closest to Klopp I’d imagine in most training sessions.

And I can’t understand how a club the magnitude of LFC can’t sign 1 as well as?

1 Like

Our best attack was made of two explosive players and one who wasn’t. They don’t need to be all the same, even more so, we need a combination of qualities. This is certainly not the 100% best Gakpo. Give him time, not every player will hit the ground running like others.

5 Likes

Is there no money there? Or are we too nitpicky with our cretia for a centre mid.

Gakpo look like who will play support role for the other two, like Firmino did. But the problem is he doesn’t have vision and technical gifted like Firmino, and I don’t see any stand out tribute :-?

Of course there’s no money, we’re a side in desperate need of new faces in midfield…the owners are letting the team derail right in front of our very eyes.

A pinch of this and a pinch of that?

We not that picky but are to an extent and we have money but not that much…

Bobby was quick over the first 5 yards, had fantastic speed with the ball at his feet and was ahead of most people movement wise… he never looked out of place.

Gakpo looks slow.

2 Likes

Not sure. I recall us saying it was VVD or no one and we would wait for him to be free. I feel it is similar to Camavinga, it was him or no one and we didn’t get him and therefore got nobody.

Bobby’s not slow, but he ain’t fast or explosive that’s for sure. Played/plays in a totally different tempo and direction to Mane, Salah, etc. We need more time and evidence to make big statements on Gakpo. Right now, yeah, with people coming back from injury, he shouldn’t be starting every game. The rest, time will tell. If he’s not 100% now, it doesn’t mean that he will be a poor version of Bobby and that we will mainly use him centrally.

2 Likes

Bobby not fast but his elite technical buy him time, and he was super strong for his size as well. Gakpo need to learn how to use his body to protect the ball though.

That’s what I meant when I said it was a misstep by our recruitment team. ( Rather than him being a complete waste of money… which he may or may not prove to be.)

2 Likes

These kind of questions were not asked when we were winning stuff.

Spoiled kids.

1 Like

That’s the nature of football no? But when we were winning stuff we didn’t need a refresh. We had a prime Hendo and Fabinho, but now we need change because we are losing

1 Like