COVID Player quarantine dates

Yeah, there is no guarantee at all. But most probably, these young athletes will have no problems dealing with the virus. The impact for them shouldn’t be much bigger than after getting a flu. A few days in bed if they experience any symptoms (Shaq has nil symptoms for instance), then back to training once they are over, and off they go.

As for the Villa game, I guess that they were impacted, but rather mentally than physically. The whole thing must have played on their minds.

That’s absolute speculation. How much do we know about this virus, aside from the fact that it has killed over a million?

Another dangerous assumption is that we think the athletes will cope better because they are so fit. But we don’t consider the fact that their body is to often stretched beyond the limits of a normal person.

4 Likes

I am now going to start wondering if every squad exclusion is COVID related.

2 Likes

I can’t remember the player’s names but I’m pretty sure there were NFL players who said they were still suffering negative side effects several months after “recovering”.

Just looked it up - it was Von Miller - he said he had trouble sleeping for several weeks after recovery (exacerbated by his asthma) and couldn’t work out for very long. Paulo Dybala said he was exhausted within five minutes of starting to jog. An olympic athlete, Tsang Yee-ting, spent 29 days in hospital.

Liverpool’s squad has the highest rate of asthma sufferers in the league. With any of our guys who contract it I think its currently impossible for us to say they’ll be back two weeks later.

3 Likes

I got it in April and had really only fairly mild symptoms. If it wasnt for the fact that my cough affected my sleep it would have been a completely trivial thing. A big contrast to the Flu I got last year that for 36 hours made me want to die. I am now touching the age group where these things can be more serious, but am generally healthy and can still run a sub 5:00 minute mile and can deadlift 600lbs. Despite that, 5 months-post infection I still suffer absolutely debilitating fatigue 1 or 2 days a week. It comes and goes at random, but when it hits it’s as much as I can do to drag myself to the couch to lie down before I pass out.

1 Like

I think ultimately the point is that there is no way of knowing currently the exact long term effects on an individual - some people won’t be bothered at all, while some will spend a month on a ventilator and never recover their lung capacity.

When it comes to predicting a player’s return to full fitness it just seems like a stab in the dark and certainly seems unlikely that we can reliably predict that they will be out for just two weeks and return to the fold with full fitness. Some will, but some will have more serious side effects also.

2 Likes

I doubt if Henderson had symptoms relating to Covid-19 that he would have been on the bench.

I’m assuming they are testing them twice a week, maybe they need to return to that kind of testing, Shaqiri has been with the squad but it was assumed he was being sold so how much time did he spend around doing nothing these last few weeks.

Long Covid symptoms seem to effect those hit badly, from what is suggested of Mane and Thiago they weren’t as for the others who have caught it previously they all seem relatively ok. Like Trump these lads have the best medical attention money can buy not like you and me.

Considering it seems isolated ones I reckon they’ve picked it up in day to day activities, Liverpool is in one of those areas that are at a higher rate of infection.

As for us not having a squad, it won’t be just us, WHU had three cases but haven’t shown up any further, sad thing with an estimation that 10% of the population may have it then most of us will get it at some point ,a lot will have no symptoms but some will and some will suffer from it and some will be very ill and sadly some will die.

But to think effectively that both players will be adversely effected is guess work, likelihood looking around the world at sports people most don’t. For every example you can find you can find 15 who had no adverse effects. Considering all three seem mild or with no symptoms it should be fine.

1 Like

That’s what they reckon on Bluemoon too :wink: :shushing_face:

2 Likes

I thought it had been reported by The Athletic but turns out the article was just retweeted by someone who writes for the The Athletic, so yeah no evidence that we have higher than normal asthma rates.

At any rate, some of the squad are probably asthmatic, like any other squad I imagine, and there’s no telling what impact Covid would have on them should they get it.

1 Like

Kieran Tierney (Arsneal) has been confirmed to have Covid whilst on international duty. Hopefully hasn’t been too close to Robbo.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12017/12098336/stuart-armstrong-tests-positive-for-covid-19-kieran-tierney-ryan-christie-to-self-isolate

How are they not seeing this is only getting worst - cancel the fking international break you wankers.

2 Likes

This is getting to the point where it’s literally insane.

2 Likes

Silly cunt shouldn’t have tried to bite Sadio’s fist.

2 Likes

When you think about it, the international break provided the perfect opportunity for every club to put all of their players into isolation and really help break the back of coronavirus continuing to spread within and between teams/clubs.

But no. Instead it will be the opposite. Have everyone travel across borders and come into contact with players from other clubs, leagues and countries. If you wanted to ensure coronavirus spread amongst footballers you probably couldn’t design a better set up.

Fuckwits.

12 Likes

Yep

Making absolutely no sense.

I can’t wven be bothered looking up what the games are for but whatever tournament it is surely it can be adjusted.

Fuck all these group stages off and go pure knockout

Imagine the scalps… maybe it reduces the talent at the next World Cup bit I mean… there’s a fucking global pandemic on guys…

1 Like

Shaqiri now tests negative? I know there are a few tests out there, and none are close to 100% accurate (as far as I know), anyone know what tests the FA are using, and how accurate they supposed to be?

EDIT: Apparently, false negatives are more likely (you don’t have it, but you actually do), than false positives. Breadown from Harvard Medical on why tests are not accurate

• No precise measures of accuracy for these tests.
  • How test is collected and stored may affect accuracy.
  • None of these tests are officially approved by the FDA. (usual rigorous testing and vetting has not happened, and accuracy results have not been widely published)
  • More than 170 molecular tests, two antigen tests, and 37 antibody tests are available.
  • All of these tests are new because the virus is new. Without a long track record, assessments of accuracy can only be approximate.
  • We don’t have a definitive “gold standard” test with which to compare them.
1 Like

We have seen this not infrequently in people who had previously been infected and recovered, which the Swiss announcement seemed to confirm about Shaq. These cases were the basis of the original “reinfection” fears back in the summer.

2 Likes

Can imagine that Sadio and Thiago are in contact with the coaching staff via video calls all the time and if they don’t have any symptoms they will get individual training instructions to do at home.

If that’s the case they would probably need two team training sessions to be in contention for the derby.

1 Like

Are Sadio and Thiago actually at home? Maybe the club set up a place where they can do quarantine together.

8 Likes

Hopefully get back to training and potentially some opportunity for the Derby, regardless the guy probably needed a break if he had no symptoms then it’s probably been really useful for him.