COVID Player quarantine dates

Although the test kits they use are new, the technique is really basic molecular biology.

I would liken these kits to buying a Betty Crocker cake mix. They take the thinking out of it. They literally say add chemical labelled A to bottle labelled B. If you get the temperature wrong on your oven, bit clumsy with your mixing, or store the ingredients in hot warm conditions you could stuff it up. But it generally should work.

However there are thousand of bakers up and down the country who dont need a Betty Crocker cake mix. They have baked cakes thousands of times. it may seem absurd, but these kits are not more special than a cake mix (packaged nicely at produced at scale). I could literally design my own custom Covid kit in a few hours on my home PC, and get it mail ordered delivered within 48 hours. I have done this thousands of times for thousand of microorganisms.

The technique is well established, very reliable and very easy to do (One of the first experiments taught at university lab classes). The best way of thinking of Shaqiris test, is not that the testing failed. But that it was too good. Despite him having Covid-19 in the past, the test was so sensitive it could detect the small amount of virus genetic material remaining.

Unless they are buying dodgy Chinese kits, the greatest source for error is likely not to be at testing but at collection. Mislabelling, cross contamination, poorly trained and not properly swabbing.

2 Likes

Yes, so perhaps supports the idea that the numbers might be being inflated by false positives such as Shaqiri - in that the test is picking up historic traces even if the player isn’t currently suffering or contagious?

I think you are correct. They will double test every previous contaminated person from now I guess

I never understood this post, and now it’s bothering me that I am missing something obvious!

It was a deal joke, the original post was just before a game and had an error listing Mane starting his quarantine on the 9th October, as it hadn’t started yet we could have played him. Rubbish joke that now looks even worse now the dates have been updated/corrected!

1 Like

So Keita misses Everton and Ajax then? Fucking stupid internationals.

1 Like

Good point. Hope Pickford hasn’t got it.

5 Likes

No need to worry about Pickford - he can’t fucking catch anything

4 Likes

No. That is not what is meant by a false positive. But it does point to a reality of a certain percentage of positive cases being subclinical.

I posted about this a couple of weeks ago about the growing evidence of this being a significant number of the cases. Furthermore, this might be one of the beneficial effects of routine mask wearing in that people who get infected while wearing a mask are likely to get a lower viral load and less or no symptoms.

1 Like

Surely a test saying that a player is currently infected with coronovaris when they aren’t is a false positive regardless of whether it’s picking up traces of a previous infection or not?

What else is meant by a false positive?

1 Like

Your point is a fair one, but when talking about lab diagnostics, typically the focus is on analytic rather than clinical performance. So in that sense a false positive would be viewed as one in which the wrong molecule was flagged…think cross reactivity with a different coronavirus like a cold virus. You also have considerations for, in ISMF’s analogy, lab techs who bake the cake incorrectly.

But in short, even with a test that works exactly how it is supposed to, there are going to be people who test positive with little clinical relevance to the test. There are growing signs that this is a higher number than we thought, but there just isnt enough known about it yet to really get a handle on it all.

2 Likes

I designed my emergency covid test in one night :joy: having the lab to run it is the problem.

Also, there are a number of cases reported in which a ‘re-infection’ is detected with PCR (a person who is tested positive, isolate >14 days, tested negative, then tested positive again). It isn’t that the virus can return and infect the same person, it’s just that the sensitivity (or lack of) of the test isn’t ideal for the current situation. I wonder if they also use some kind of antibody test. In any case, still having players flying all over the world right now just for a possibly delayed World Cup/whatever international cup is plain stupid. I don’t even know who will be responsible for all this.

There is now clinical proof that reinfections can happen, there are reports of people coming down worse second time around so either they never had it all or they are reinfected.

You can’t come down with it worse second time if it’s a lingering former version of it.

Though it does open the door to the fact you can’t be immune to it once you’ve been infected.

Of all the patients reported “re-infection” in my country, no further symptoms were observed and culturing samples from these patients yielded no viable virus. But their PCR results were still positive even after 3 months (which ‘some people’ kept quiet about).

But I also have seen the paper from Lancet regarding ‘reinfections’. Very interesting and worrying at the same time. Previous reports of reinfection were all disregarded due to no proof of infectivity in those cases.

The report from Nevada is more interesting for it’s details below… We don’t really know how this developments and mutates, we know a lot but we also know very little and it is a lot of guess work based on what we know.

Thought this topic was about COVID PLAYER quarantine dates and not about general COVID talk what has his own topic.

Every time I see this one come up I think there is news about our players. :smiley:

2 Likes

How long has Covid been about? If its nearly 3 years it might explain Nabbys performances since he arrived :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, particularly if it affects the ability to properly process what we observe :slight_smile:

IMO, still no reliable reports that Keita has Covid.

Also can’t find any reports on Mane training again. His quarantine/isolation should be over now.

EDIT: both Mane and Thiago trained Monday.

It is so pointless for Naby lad to head out for the international friendly! :rage: