Curtis JONES: 2021/22

I don’t know that any of the midfielders had an outstanding game but they all did a job. I think Ox’s performance was over exaggerated in its poorness as well.

They were all solid, nothing spectacular. Morton had a good game when he came on but I think his performance was more notable due to being his debut.

What I liked about Jones’ performance was that he slotted in as a 6 and was able to be disciplined. He’s a player who has always been very driven by his natural instinct so to see him hold himself back was promising.

Also, in the build up to the second goal I really liked his manipulation of the ball and the way he releases it about half a second before it looks like he will. If you watchback his pass to Tsimikas you can see he plays on a half step which completely takes the defender out the game as they aren’t expecting the pass to go that early. It’s the passing equivalent of shooting before the goalkeeper is set and Jones is brilliant at it.

4 Likes

Well done Curtis :partying_face:

1 Like

Such a mature performance and a superb goal to top it off.

2 Likes

Three games in a week might be too many, but I wouldn’t mind Curtis against Porto.

1 Like

He seems a nailed on starter against City. Might influence the decision to start him against Porto.

1 Like

He was one of the very few positives from yesterday. He doesn’t mind getting a shot off. His goal was a bit fortunate because of the deflection but he has that ability to cut in from the left and then hit a decent strike. Reminds me of Coutinho in that respect. Was unlucky to hit the post in the first half. There are still some rough edges but he seems to be playing more his normal game this season whereas last season I felt he was restricted and playing a little too safe. Almost like a poor man’s Gini. Whether the sub was pre-planned or not it was daft to take him off just after scoring. Deserved a few more minutes at least. Hopefully he’s moved up the midfield pecking order with that display.

2 Likes

With Elliott earlier and Jones now, we can see Klopp trusting them more than the likes of Ox, Keita and Minamino. They must be doing something extremely right in training and then as we see showcasing the same maturity on the pitch. The latter three need to really up their game and fitness as there’s no guaranteed starts for any of them the way Elliott and Jones have performed. Hoping Elliott would feature soon as well.

2 Likes

Indeed. And even though it was a slight deflection the power he generated was incredible. I’ve been a bit on the fence with him as to whether he will make it as those minutes he’s played in the first team are all I’ve seen of him and bar that Everton game and goal, I too thought he was too conservative for all the seeming hype made up around him.

I loved that he just leathered that in like that, it certainly is needed from the midfielders every now and then.

1 Like

I prefer him in that LCM role (like most or all of our “technical” right footed midfielders, Ox probably not), his right foot is more open towards the game and other parts of the pitch + he can attack the goal better. Plus, his pure technique and ball manipulation allows him to have solutions out of tight situations when he finds himself wider on the left. Like Klopp said, he’s on a good way overall, but the next phase is also now about becoming more consistent.

I thought the exact opposite. I thought that his focus on getting the tactical parts right, fitting into our play, and being a generally dependable member of the team was much more important than trying to be flashy. Once he’s consolidated his position in the team, it’ll be easier to show off his individual strengths.

1 Like

Ridiculously good tonight. He was everywhere. Scores goals, creates them, ballwinner. He’s got everything. Going to be an important player for us.

9 Likes

Feels fucking weird that he hasn’t actually scored any. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Aye, said it a few weeks ago that he had been oddly forgotten by many with the early season favour that Elliott had been getting.

To me he looks like a lad who has decided that now he has the shirt, no fucker is taking it off him - whether they are a world class Spanish international, an 18 year old wonderkid, or a £56m international.

2 Likes

He will have to, to put on the #8 :grin:

Excellent today, had that swagger back and finally producing in both the final 3rd and final ball, which is what I hoped from him and what he did at youth level. Well done young fella

1 Like

Basically what I want him to do. Did great finding space out wide on the left and then came inside to create difference for the first goal. Played with real hunger off the ball and with purpose on the ball. This is the right way, the only way to play for this side.

The pass for Salahs second was a huge indication of the growth in his game. He waited, rather than the easy option of Mane on the left, released the perfectly timed ball which meant Salah had an easier chance. Really excellent all round.

2 Likes

Remember when the papers thought we were selling him to Villa for £15m? WTF was that all about? :rofl:

1 Like

I recall his games toward the end of last season. Every time he came off our performance dropped and every time he came on as sub he lifted our game. In my book he has been quality for a while now but only just got his chance this season due to the quality of others. So, IMO he has been playing well for a while but just getting better every game now. Last night was outstanding. I like how he dropss behind play a couple of steps or drifts seemingly wide of the action and then suddenly bursts onto the scene creating havoc. Lets hope he can now do it against better teams.

2 Likes