Curtis JONES: 2021/22

He is and always has been a fantastic player. I find it amazing that a 20 year old creative midfielder breaking through at Liverpool is somehow under-the-radar on a national level. Barely anyone who is not a Liverpool supporter seems to know he exists.

By contrast anytime someone kicks a ball from Chelsea the whole world is made to know about it. Bizarre really.

4 Likes

Tbf, Iā€™m quite happy for it to remain that way. The national team has a remarkable ability to crock our players.

7 Likes

If he continues on this trajectory of improvement we have a world-beater in the making.

Or when our fans were suggesting he was a bust because he wasnt involved in the first couple of games of the season (after receiving a concussion in preseason).

Weā€™ve got a lot of really good players and sitting on the bench is no indication of a player not being good enough.

6 Likes

Itā€™s become quite apparent to me over the last couple of games that many of the same people saying we needed to buy more and that our squad depth is terrible, are also the same people who ignore the said depth until games like last night. It was Origi until Milan, Jones until last night, presumably in a couple of weeks time itā€™ll be Ox, or Minamino.

Chelsea base their whole business model on it nowadays, it seemsā€¦ Iā€™m happier with Liverpool academy producing someone like Trent or Jones every two years or so and see them given a chance to establish themselves in the first team - and them grabbing that chance with both hands.

Chelseaā€™s yearly model is to sell 5 youth players theyā€™ve hawked around Europe for 5 years on loan for Ā£20mil each to spend Ā£100mil on a player they sold a few years ago for 20% of the fee they are now spending.

To be fair, he went under the radar with plenty of our fans. Iā€™ve lost count of the times Iā€™ve read heā€™s only getting a game because heā€™s scouse.

Iā€™ve got a genuine question, because itā€™s been something Iā€™ve been wondering about for a while.

How much of this would be because he (or other of our youth prospects) arenā€™t actually doing all the eye-catching stuff? I know with the youth players I personally tend to just look out for how noticeable it is that they are new to the team. Iā€™m usually more impressed if they donā€™t seem to have a significant gap between them and the first team, rather showing some magical tricks, or assisting, or scoring, and Iā€™m wondering whether people tend to do the opposite?

I think itā€™s more to do with what the media says, particularly in match co-commentators. I have noticed there seems to be an immense difference to what, for example, the French LFC supporters say compared to UK based supporters. Perhaps we should all watch the matches on mute and see what that does?

1 Like

True in most of the cases and not just restricted to the youth in my opinion.

Klopp knows how good Curtis could be and is doing his usual fantastic job of walking the tight rope on squad playersā€™ playing time.
Jones however is not going to make life easy for JĆ¼rgen to give Naby, Ox and Thiago a long run in the team. The fans being back in the stadium wonā€™t either if the other less in form midfielders are preferred in really big home matchesā€¦

1 Like

Still not convinced that he will be a regular on our midfield for years to come. From the start I saw Elliott play I immediately had the feeling, this is the real deal, I donā€™t have that with Jones.

Klopp says, ā€˜believeā€™. :wink:

7 Likes

Best bit about that is the guy Ronaldo gives the ball to miscontrols it

1 Like

Minamino kicked it straight out of play. Symmetry.

2 Likes

Still canā€™t quite pin him.

I believe he has absolute top potential but not sure in what role.

He could be a real good, possibly even top class, CM/8 that brings more attacking capability than usual options.

And I think he could be a real top attacking midfielder tucked in on the left side if not an out an out left winger.

Obviously he could develop into a brilliant number 10/CAM. Although itā€™s unclear if Klopp will change formation at some point to use him in that way.

Iā€™m not sure where on the pitch he would develop best to fill his potential? Or maybe heā€™ll be a Jack of all trades, top class in several roles and his versatility being what makes him world class?

One thing Iā€™ve thought a couple of times though is could he evolve to become the heir apparent to Firmino? Could he become a false 9? Would we even continue to use one when Bobby isnā€™t playing for us anymore?

Sorry just in a contemplative mood. Really like Jones, want him to have his whole career with us as one of our big names (not like a Wes Brown or John Oā€™Shea type)!

1 Like