Curtis JONES: 2022/23

They all count the same.

Agreed, he played in a deep 2 most of the tournament and provided excellent cover throughout while still being plenty involved in the attacking phases.

England didnā€™t play great football in the second half vs Portugal or today (a lot of long balls to Gibbs-white) but you canā€™t take anything away from a side that doesnā€™t concede once.

Could easily see a scenario in a cup game this season where we play Jones deep, maybe beside Bajcetic, with Elliot in front of those two and it working well.

Jones deserves player of the tournament, but Elliot was excellent as well. Didnā€™t start or get as many minutes as heā€™d like. But was super lively in all his sub appearances and was man of the match (in my opinion) in his only start vs Germany.

Good tournament for both of them. They should come into preseason high on confidence.

1 Like

Nah looks he knew what he was doing me!

Congrats Curtis for that tournament win! :+1:

This lad is going to be very important for us this coming season if he can stay fit.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/1677971073323655170?t=kilEfawjwH-42jRyr59s9w&s=19

Won MoTM last night as well as is in the Semi. Sky sports decided he wasnā€™t worth mentioning, beyond his deflected goal, in this piece about who did well. I appreciate hes the old head in the group, and the focus might be on the really young ones.

2 Likes

Just another example of the weird way he seems to be ignored. Liverpool fans are guily too, he comes into the team and is superb for the last 11 games but immediately is overlooked when discussing next seasonā€™s squad.

94% passing isnā€™t even rare for him, he averages way over 90% in the league. This is actually something he could afford to come down on and try a few more risky passes.

Heā€™s not the old head of that group - Aarons, Johnson and Gibbs-White are a year older.

Highlighting Gordon as someone who performed well is laughable. He was awful. Both him and Smith Rowe were passengers for a side that relied on an excellent goalkeeper, defence and midfield. The forwards were abject with exception of Archer who should have been starting but fame still plays a part in who gets picked.

10 Likes

Keep the form up Curtis, give Mac a real challenge to take your position off you.

It wouldnā€™t be suprising to see him become a pemanent starter in a number of midfield combinations and positions, he has the ability.

Under Kloppā€™s tutelage, his recent performances could turn out to be only the beginning. He just has to stay fit.

7 Likes

Curtis will be a starting member of the 1st eleven this season is my prediction.

This could be the worst moment for Jones being 3 weeks behind ā€¦