Daft Prick Boehly‘s Blue Billion Pound Plastic Bottlejobs

Or talks that already happened to prime this situation

2 Likes

I thought i read that he had an exit clause in his contract, which Chelsea were willing to activate.

I think this is the sort of opportunity it is hard to block.

What’s Potter been like with bringing through youth players.

1 Like

Release clause of £16m apparently. Not quite sure when managers started getting releases clauses but there we go.

If he goes I fully expect Ceicedo will be on his list of wanted players, especially with Kante and Jorginho’s contracts being up next summer and they’ll be losing Zakaria back to Juve.

2 Likes

I thank our stars we are not a club like Chelsea and likes and our club is well run and has certain humane factor rather than being a plastic organization with employees more than a football club.

4 Likes

If it is Potter it is hard to judge a manager with experience of one team.

He may be great, he may totally flop, Chelsea is a different beast and he may be more suited to a Liverpool or Arsenal.

Alternatively he might not be suited at all to a team like Chelsea.

Let’s see though.

4 Likes

He’s got more than experience of one team though. He was very successful in Sweden (successive promotions with Östersund), and also did well at Swansea, before Brighton came calling. From all I’ve seen of him, he’s very good at his job. Got to work your way up, and he’s done that so far.

The key, as you say, is whether he will be suited to a club like Chelsea - who are now under new owners and might not operate in the same way as they did under Roman (hire and fire culture). Tuchels sacking doesn’t mean a continuation of hire and fire imo, as he wasn’t hired by the new owners. That said, Boehely might just not understand “soccer” at all and we are in for a lot of fun at Chelsea’s expense.

6 Likes

I’m sorry but Swedish football is not a massive barometer for success I know he did well there but it’s a good standing not much else.

Swansea he finished 10th with a team that had just been relegated, which if I’m honest doesn’t really suggest he did well.

He’s good at it - Brighton have been investing heavily in their academy but they’re a few years away from regularly developing PL players. The main ability he’s shown is getting players in from others clubs and developing them.

He’s probably glad that Colwill didn’t get his permanent move to Brighton now.

2 Likes

Todd Boehly is offering draft picks for Graham Potter

3 Likes

If we were looking for a manager right now I would be interested in Potter. Obviously unproven at the highest level, but I very much like his work so far. And we have the sort of pastoral and collegiate set up that would integrate a new man, smooth over the adjustment period, and back him to do well for us over the long haul. In other words, the slightest hiccup would not make us lose our nerve and sack him.

And that’s what Potter won’t have at Chelsea, if he goes there.

Their track record is to have a revolving door on the manager’s office. If Potter is in discussions he will be wanting to know what sort of assurances he will get to try to build something up.

And therein lies the problem. Chelsea are not that sort of club. They haven’t been for twenty years, and the most expensive transfer window in history just underscored the point for them.

They are set up for another star name to come in - Zidane, Pochettino - presumably to start quickly, stamp their authority on it, win a couple of trophies, and then depart just as soon as they arrived when it starts to falter.

Potter would represent a big departure from that established pattern, and so he needs to think about his career very carefully. If he goes to Chelsea and it goes wrong - big likelihood of that, then he’s back in the lower reaches of the Prem again, trying to build it up and restore his reputation.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

2 Likes

I’m not suggesting it’s like for like in Swedish football - but to take a club through two successive promotions shows he understands how to set up a team.

At Swansea, he was there for 1 season, following their relegation from the PL - 10th might not be the best, but it’s far better than a lot of clubs fare when they go down - he was starting from scratch, and working on a tight budget (spent £6.4m, whilst Swansea sales totalled £43m). I think it’s too easy to say he did badly in that one season.

Just opinions of course - time will tell if he’s any good or not at the highest level, as sooner or later a club will twist and take him on.

2 Likes

The revolving door policy was under the old regime. Boehly and his partners believe in hiring for the long-term, hence the recent six-year contracts being offered to players. Their baseball team, the LA Dodgers, have had the same head coach for seven years and he has just signed for another three.

Sounds like Tuchel wasn’t enough of a team player for the new owners. He publicly stated that he did not enjoy being more involved in the recruitment process and preferred to work on his own or with his own close-knit team. The new owners are, by all accounts, about being more open and problem solving as a team.

4 Likes

What a circus of a club.

Same old wild, short-term decisions.

To be fair to them, at different times they still proved they can win quickly even with so many changes, but it’s not something you can count on all the time and build.

This is a joke, really. It’s not like Tuchel didn’t have work to do still, but he deserved more patience, let him work with all this new situation and new players.

Why not give him the sack before taking huge part in spending around £200m net? Does Boehly have another £200m in his pocket for next summer?

Oh well, if he wants to go down the wild path as well, be my guest, it’s only good for us.

2 Likes

Absurd decision. Tuchel certainly have done more than enough to deserve more time than this. Rotten club. New owner but still just rotten to the core of their soul.

1 Like

As a Liverpool supporter, this is hilarious

2 Likes

I think it is too early to judge Boehly in this regard. Might be looking for a young promising manager willung to take the next developmental step and work to bring through youth.

1 Like

Boehly is just one owner among an ownership group at the Dodgers. We shouldn’t draw too many parallels.

It’s not as if the signings made were “supporting tuchel” rather than a new ownership group putting in the investment that needed to be made to make up for the damage caused by the end of the last group.

I wouldnt treat this though as just a unilateral decision. It could be, but anyone who has been at an organization where leadership changes can understand how that can change people’s perspective of the job. Tuchel has come across as quite outwardly frustrated at what has been going on, and it’s very easy to imagine two people who just didnt like the partnership. As I always say, it is a viable option for top managers to throw in the towel at a situation they dont like and get themselves fired before their reputation takes a hit from trying to make it work and being seen to fail. No idea if that is what has happened, but it’s easy to see it as a possibility.

1 Like

Boehly had a say in hiring Dave Roberts to manage the Dodgers. I believe that this is largely about him wanting to bring in his own person.

Tuchel also has become more dour over the past few months. He doesn’t seem like a manager I’d want to play for.

I would not rule out that this decision to sack Tuchel was also about interpersonal problems. He is super exhausting in the long run and, as already mentioned above, not a team player. That also became a problem in Dortmund.

I am not really surprised

5 Likes