Daft Prick Boehly‘s Blue Billion Pound Plastic Bottlejobs

I’d find it very odd if Thomas Frank swapped.

Also I seriously doubt the last three would interest them.

1 Like

Kjetil Knutson seems to be getting most buzz. Postecoglu probably won’t leave Celtic while they are still in the CL.

2 Likes

So Graham Potter’s all but done - major outlets reporting it as such, as is good ol Mr Here We Go

There’s been a bit of back and forth on this thread the last two days as to whether Potter is a good coach or not. Well we’re about to find out.

In my opinion, he’s an astute signing. What he’ll need is time. He’s Bohley’s first managerial appointment, and it will be interesting to see if he’s afforded that time, or whether they carry on on the Chelsea way.

I really like Potter - but I hope it goes wrong for him. His biggest challenge will be managing the egos in that dressing room.

1 Like

Yup for me he deserves it but will he deliver. It’s a gamble no doubt, one that could work or one that could go wrong.

Glad they got him in place though, always hate facing managers first.

Klopp seemed to generally know how to beat his teams (where others struggled), but god knows how we will be in two weeks.

1 Like

Imagine if Tuchel went to Brighton and finished ahead of these plastic fuckers

1 Like

So how long are we giving Potter before he gets the sack? I’ll give him until the new year.

When I saw Tuchel at the end, my initial thought was it is a list of all sacked Chelsea managers in past few years.

left us before the world cup.

plays great football, but never shy to jump to the next challenge

The interesting thing for me will be how he approaches the striker role. Auba is a big gamble for anyone at this stage, but it appeared the existing relationship with Tuchel was part of their decision to risk it. It’s entirely possible though that their existing relationship meant Tuchel didnt want him and his response to that accelerated his demise. What it now means is Potter is, among all the other dysfunctional parts of the side, stuck with a well paid malcontent who does not appear capable of playing the role Potter seems to value. For all of the stick Welbeck gets he ALWAYS puts in a shift and contributes a ton in overall play. What he lacks in goals he adds in enabling the smart, hard working, cohesive approach that Potter has implemented. I wonder if that will point to Broja being more of a shot, or even going back to last season’s line up with Havertz being asked to play ostensibly as a striker but being asked to go wherever he felt he needed to to impact the game.

3 Likes

Good coach, just not good enough imo. One step too far.

I think Potter is a fraud but he well may prove me wrong. Chelsea being Chelsea though, even if he turns out to be the real deal, he probably won’t be there in three years anyway.

Depends entirely on the targets set for him. If the owners want him to win the PL this season or next, he’ll be out the door within 18 months. But if they give him time, I think he’ll do well.

1 Like

Are they that same Chelsea though?

They just let Tuchel spend nearly £300m before immediately sacking him…so maybe?

Why do we continue to treat this as manager’s spending when increasingly managers are not directing this?

3 Likes

Was Tuchel not the manager when this money was spent?

Tuchel might have had zero to do with the signings (albeit prob did have a say in Auba, as he also reportedly said no to Ronaldo joining).

As I’ve been saying the last few day - Tuchel’s sacking can’t be seen as an indication of the future form of Chelsea operations - as he wasn’t put in post by them.

The very fact Chelsea are going for a younger, untested manager, rather than one of the usual big names banded around is also a bit telling I think.

1 Like

If anything that compounds the idea that it’s the same Chelsea, buying players without the manager’s input or agreement.

My point is it is anachronistic to treat spending as spending for a manager. They will be held accountable if they do not get performances out of the players who are given to them, but the spending should only in rare exceptions (see Ten Hag’s clear influence over this summer’s spending at Utd) be treated as being by or for the manager. If the players brought in are brought in by a separate team on the determination they are good enough for A manager to get results with, then it doesnt matter who the manager is.

1 Like