Daft Prick Boehly‘s Blue Billion Pound Plastic Bottlejobs

Maybe, but success in football for managers is so precarious that you have to take the opportunities when they come. At a club like Brighton no matter how well you do in any season, you’re only ever 1 bad transfer window away from it unravelling, at if he is still there when that happens, and it will eventually, his shine will be gone. Possibly for ever.

At Chelsea he might fail, but he’s taken the shot when it was there. And if he fails there will be jobs still available for him at the Brighton level and he’ll be very handsomely paid in the mean time. That means if he does find himself in the position where he has to rebuild his reputation he has the luxury of biding his time and taking the right job, or possibly never having to be motivated by money again in his life. I don’t know how well he was being paid at Brighton, but I doubt it was enough to let him face getting fired there with the same relaxed attitude.

4 Likes

Agree I’m pretty sure the mortgage on his house is paid off after two months with Chelsea. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I don’t think anyones reputation was particularly damaged by Being sacked by Chelsea.

9 Likes

Getting sacked by Chelsea is essentially a right of passage these days. He may have even taken the job with the idea of securing the role he actually wants right after it.

3 Likes

Villa Boas got the Spurs job after his tenure and he was generally crap.

1 Like

It is to be remembered also… not every manager is in the game to win the PL but lean more towards the money they can take from the game. Fat Sam and Roy were never going to produce a winning team of any note, then we have Maureen in these latter years… So maybe Potter has gone to Chelsea to give him and his family financial security, get sacked if it fails, re-invent himself after 12month sabbatical… then go again.
Some managers though, do love the game but want success too quickly, hence putting themselves on a pedestal to take the pelters… Lumpard springs to mind
Potter seems an ok type of guy, so it will be interesting to see how he is treated in his new role

That never stopped Jose or Big Sam

We all despise Chelsea but questioning Potters decision to take the job at a Top4 Club?

What else should he have done? Wait for the England job or for a symphatic big club coming for him? By then he is probably back in a fight against relegation with BH&A.

Think Pep Lijnders for example would jump at the chance to manage one of the other Top6 clubs and Klopp wouldn’t block it.

Football is a fast business and Potters personal aim will be to keep the Chelsea boss now at least until the end of the 23/24 season which would 'qualify’ him for Arsenal or Spurs jobs in the future.

1 Like

Like his predecessors, I am sure Potter would have done his homework by reading THE book before joining Chelsea:

The Art of Getting Sacked

By José Mário dos Santos Mourinho Félix

Erm… I’m pretty sure Brighton get the £16m.

When he’s sacked next summer

Bet Maureen is raging he didn’t try to keep the Chelsea fans on his side now…
He might have had a good chance of being recalled as their saviour :0)

Boehly might want to buck the trend and show he is a more patient owner, so having chosen his man, I suspect Potter will benefit from some patience. It’s never unlimited, but unless the wheels completely fall off, I think he has until Christmas 2023.

They will hope for top four this season, or near as possible if there’s an adjustment period, and then to build on that next season.

I reckon Potter has got until Christmas 2023, and obviously longer if he does well there.

1 Like

You always have to be skeptical of pieces that come out in situations like this that describe the “inside story”, but there are a few good pieces Ive read in the past week that really paint Tuchel as making a rod for his own back. Admittedly though I am reading them through the prism of my prior that he is a difficult person.

He was basically asked to help lead the spending strategy for this summer and he said no as it wasnt his job. And so despite passing off that responsibility to others he clashed with them repeatedly over their decisions. He is painted as a guy unreasonably inflexible in his attitude to his job in response to dramatically changed circumstances (not just new owners, but Cech and Granovskaia left leaving a big knowledge vaccum) and then acted unreasonably in response to a situation he was doing little to improve.

A piece I also hadnt seen reported is that he is currently going through a divorce. Im kind of glad I hadnt seen it reported, but knowing it know it does add context and adds colour to reports that he was increasingly unpleasant to work with.

Bohely trying to understand what role Tuchel wanted in identifying signings

The Notebook Want GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY | Intimacy, Open relationship, Relationship

1 Like

Billy Madison GIFs | Tenor

1 Like

It’s Trevoh Chalobah, Toddy.

Time to change this thread title, no?

Draft pick Boehly‘s Stamford bridge globetrotters.

3 Likes

I love that he threw in the insight that there is nothing that incentives tanking - a supposed but not really outlawed practice in US sports of purposefully blowing your season so you get better draft picks the following year. He correctly acknowledged that relegation and the loss money rules that out. Well, Todd. So does the complete lack of benefit rule it out. What draft pick do you think you’re getting?

Im sure he had a point he was making with this specific comments, but dont know that I can find it.

3 Likes

#Potterout trending.

You actually love to see it. (Not by Chelsea fans btw, other fanbases bantering)