Daft Prick Boehly‘s Blue Billion Pound Plastic Bottlejobs

In other words, we will soon enough be seeing him bantering with Gary Neville in the pre-game shows.

Punditry can be too well paid these days, to put up with the hassle of managing in the Championship. Wide Frankie Boy, has his eye on Southgate’s job me thinks. Probably his PR team will start the party line soon, that his management talents belong on the International stage. If that happens, mediocrity for England squad for the next decade will be incoming

Very possibly. A few of them reappear as pundits. I think Stevie once said that he doesn’t necessarily plan to pursue the managerial career for too long if he sees it’s not really going as he wishes.

1 Like

I’m not saying he didn’t do a good job, what I’m saying is that certain styles and ways of work have ever decreasing results.

That’s why half of those merry go round managers seem to be managing average clubs and getting the sack on a regular basis a league below the PL while others just haven’t bothered to continue, in fact some are now getting the sack in league 1 after average performances (Roy Hodgson seems to be the only exception).

Sometimes managers burnout maybe Burnley’s last season was the start of that.

It’s a particularly interesting angle to take to frame the contrast in who the managers picked in the right attacking role as an example of a manager not knowing what he is doing - an attacking attacker or a hard running midfielder. Yesterday Carlo might have picked Rodrigo for that role and was rewarded with goals, but for the best part of 2years he has primarily picked his own Kante for the role and been rewarded for it…fuck, praised for his tactical intelligence and finding such an atypical solution to their problem

There is plenty to pick apart in the way they were sent out to play and how they executed that, but this was not it. If you start 2-0 down you need to make sure you dont go 3-0 down. The attacking players he left out are hardly justifying their place and, as you say, Kante actually had a decent game.

Frank isnt up to snuff, but two different managers both of whom are far more sophisticated than him have also failed to get anything out of this group because the group itself, and the environment in which it was put together, is the core of the problem. If that didnt exist, a manager of Frank’s limitations wouldnt have even been there last night.

2 Likes

I think Dyche was perfect for Everton right now. Whether he keeps them up or not, who knows. They were in deep trouble when he got there, so it won’t be entirely his fault if they do go down. But at least it looks like they have a fighting chance. You immediately felt the reaction of the crowd when they saw that his football isn’t just staying back in a deep block all game, but they do press in certain phases. Everton got into a weird situation where fans expected more than they should, out of money spent. That doesn’t mean they did it well enough. They needed and probably still need a period of a Dyche or someone else before trying to kick on. First, sort out the mess they’re in.

Oh I think he was the right choice, you just wonder about some managers.

I don’t think there is any guarantee they will be fine next season, after all they will be the fall guy for the PL.

And clubs should be careful not to fall too deep in the whole ‘philosophy’ thing going on these days.

When Gary Neville says often in public how United are not a club for possession football, but more for transitions, a more physical and direct game, wingers out wide, get the fans on the edge of their seat (and who doesn’t want that?), blah, blah.

What the actual f*ck is that? That is total rubbish.

Fans can shout and want that, doesn’t mean it’s always the right thing to do. Doesn’t mean we can’t learn to admire a new style of football, especially if it brings results. Naturally, most fans will say that they want waves of attacks, but it’s also not a FIFA game.

Of course, at rare big clubs there is certain culture. Barca is that in modern times. United, well… would they really be against a manager and a team playing like Pep’s side? I don’t think so.

Bayern in their league? Well, they probably do need a manager who can build or maintain a way of playing that is set up to dominate and break down teams. Then there are subtle changes, many of which can be successful. Who cares if it’s more or less possession (I mean, fans can care, but people upstairs making decisions), the positions of full backs and wingers, which formation, if it’s successful. But then you go back to what Gary thinks that, what, United cannot play well and win with wingers inside? Never?

Certainly no objective reason to suggest that something like that cannot work at United. It’s not the idea then that is problematic, but the execution of it.

Same goes for Everton, what do they want? Is Everton a club made for passionate players who put crosses for a big target man all day? Only that and always that? Rubbish.

Since we’re in the Chelsea thread, before even going in the playing style, first and foremost they need to clean their place and restore a bit of order.

The problem with LVG was his side just wasnt very good and he was maybe too stale himself. But this “it’s not the Utd way” idea provided an unnecessary level of antagonism towards his ideas that made them even less likely to work. Neville’s attitude might be bunk, but it’s at least consistent with a degree of the match going fan base. Of course, the fact their cries of “attack attack attack” were responded to by hiring Mourinho and they initially celebrated it is both the treatment they deserved and evidence that the idea of it “not being the United way” is a really surface level idea that falls apart on the slightest of testing.

1 Like

Van Gaal was again something different, but yeah.

We know us fans, most of us will always shout “attack more”, “put an extra offensive player”, “have a plan B, C and D”, “less combining, stick it early in the mixer”. The usual. We live in a time when the outside never had so much influence what decisions are being taken inside. It’s a double-edged sword. There’s good things about that and not so good things.

Since clubs were formed, especially the top ones who won in multiple decades over time… they all both won and entertained their fans in different ways.

Sure, some ways have been more influencing, admired and remembered than others. At United, it’s Ferguson’s teams (who, no shit, also had at least subtle changes over the years, it was one of his best traits) more than Busby’s teams or whatever.

I generally don’t mind Neville as a pundit, he’s still a quality one. But when he goes so radical with his views on what details are for United as a club, I find it’s nonsense. Nobody says that United should look at Dyche the same way as Klopp. But dear me, it’s not all eternally about having great counter attacks and players like Beckham and Giggs on the sides.

Poor Chelsea, their thread is also dead. :joy:

I think clubs(big ones) do have a certain ‘DNA’. That’s partly why even before the terrible results Roy Hodgson didn’t receive a warm welcome.

Liverpool for example have a love/relationship for/with their manager few other clubs do.

Ii think big clubs also have a certain football style DNA too. Although Real have become a little more Tiki Taki recently.

This headline made me spit out my tea…

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Allegedly! :smile:

…and Balotelli was given an IQ rating of 147…! Make of that what you will

to be fair, I am rather certain that Lampard can manage to put a pinney on without assistance

2 Likes

Do we have evidence of this?

Could even be true. And would be illustrative of how intelligence is useless without both direction and discipline.

1 Like
1 Like

This is absolute gold. They’d do worse making Thiago Silva player manager. Sensible comments.

1 Like

Hindsight is 20/20 but they struck gold with Silva who was supposed to be way past his best and too late in his career to get himself accustomed to the rigours of PL (I certainly thought so). Now he’s their best defender, a commanding presence, a straight-talking and genuinely classy guy.

9 Likes