Daft Prick Boehly‘s Blue Billion Pound Plastic Bottlejobs

So, the news story is in the next two days, but they don’t know whom?

1 Like

If Poch rocks up at Man Utd it will be interesting to see how much access Gary Neville is given. Neville is part of the furniture, but Poch might put his foot down.

The ugly sideboard bequeathed by your grandmother that you can’t even get rid of on Freecycle.

6 Likes

I asked for a lamp and you gave me Gary Neville!

3 Likes

Haha, from EL to ECL.

3 Likes

They had no European football last season and now with ECL they have a minimum of 10 extra games to deal with.

Puts them under pressure to add some players and potentially break some financial rules.

1 Like

They haven’t already?

3 Likes

They could use the two squads they’ve already bought.

3 Likes

I’ve had people in the know tell me they will definitely make money off Chelsea.

But those same people are also telling me the club is forked for years to come.

1 Like

Don’t they have some stupid uefa competition next year as well? Vs Madrid, etc.

1 Like

I assume you mean the FIFA world club cup that’s been expanded, it’s basically next summer after the Season finishes.

Like the Euros but for clubs, kind of glad we didn’t get picked.

There is also an Inter continental cup in the winter.

Whoever wins the CL is going be spent.

4 Likes

https://x.com/DTathletic/status/1795347664759857470

6 Likes

Maresca now looks like he’s being appointed. He did win the league with them of course but he also oversaw Leicester lose a 17 point lead in the process and I think winning the league was probably a minimum expectation given the squad they have.

What I noticed with Leicester as the season went on was they seemed to slow down their play massively. The heavy press of the early season turned into a bit of a trudge and teams were able to expose them. Could be fitness issues but Leicester fans claim he’s maniacally obsessed with possession and as his methods got through to the squad they created less in order to retain the ball.

Will be interesting to see how that works at Chelsea. They don’t really have possession football in their DNA and their attack is relatively poor anyway. If Maresca puts shackles on Palmer its tough to see where the goals are coming from.

2 Likes

Another baldy boss for the EPL?

He just got Leicester City promoted, so would have been in the P/L anyhow

1 Like

How many bosses with shiny pates we have now/soon?
Fraudy, ten Hag, Dyce, Kompany(leaving), Slot, Maresca, any more?

Yeah sees an odd choice. Also interesting that apparently he’s being offered a much longer contract that Poch who they fired just as he seemed to be coming to terms with the squad. If only the other blue plastics were as poorly run.

1 Like

This is not a robust analysis, but it appears to me that the consolidation of power in a core of mega clubs that we’ve seen set in over the past 10 years or so has broken the manager pipeline and has made it really difficult to evaluate candidates for one of the open positions for these clubs.

The expectations at these now mega clubs are unreasonable which means pretty much everyone will be tainted by some sense of failure in their time there. Managers with some success will still be turfed out and so several of the game’s top managers have cycled through at least one of those jobs already and will be viewed by many to be a bust, and even what successes they might have had is so expected that it’s difficult to credit them too much. You then have the best rated managers who havent yet had those opportunities, but are working at clubs so much less resourced that they cannot really compete, which makes it really difficult to judge what success looks like for them or how it would translate at a bigger club the way it might have 20 years ago.

So if you’re someone like chelsea, you dont want someone who has “failed” on a big job before, and the best managers working in the likes of Holland and portugal are working at a level so far removed from “winning the CL” that we have no idea how they will manage what is undeniably a step up. What you’re left with is putting your trust in the Pep coaching family tree.

2 Likes

Well, we are about to find out.

Chelsea part of a core of mega clubs? Yeah definitely not a robust analysis!