Daft Prick Boehly‘s Blue Billion Pound Plastic Bottlejobs

He was unquestionably effective that season at Inter. I think a big factor was the now unusual 2 man strike partnership. He dove tailed with Martinez well, but it was also a set up that allowed him to walk through big patches of games. The failure of his purchase was less about over rating his performances in Italy, but as Koptician suggests, not planning for how to replicate the environment for him at chelsea. They just continued to throw players at a problem and hoped it would come right without much consideration for how they’d work together and bring the best out of each other.

2 Likes

:joy:

If that happens Spurs can expect another top 4 who gets 4th mind is another matter.

1 Like

My bet is probably a toss up between Arsenal and West Ham.

1 Like

Yeah depends if Westham can cope with Europe again, they did struggle come the end of the season.

I still fancy Leicester to re-emerge, if Brentford keep Eriksson I’d fancy them for a Europa league spot.

1 Like

Honestly, right now, with the way they finished their seasons and the changes being made over the summer, I’d have Spurs as a much better side for this coming season.

1 Like

Addition of European football will impact, I do think they may finish top 3 but we take it as a given for us to perform with it, Spurs have been wanking around in the Europa for years.

Melissa Reddy is claiming on Sky sports that we looked at Granovskaya’s way of generating revenue through sales and followed that?! Huh??

6 Likes

If that’s the case then why did he leave us?

He was fired, just like Mane.

Total speculation, but perhaps he got tired of trying to make things work within the financial structure set forth by FSG? It’s quite a tall task to meet the gargantuan expectations set by the club and its supporters while being limited by FSG’s financial structure. My guess is Boehly is willing to spend a lot more.

I really doubt it. This whole job is just a big well-paying problem solving exercise. Where is the satisfaction in working through this complex process to spit out answers at you if the answer is “buy Mbappe”, something that a 12 year old could have come up with. The sensible spending restrictions are what makes the job interesting and rewarding.

But I think the bigger issue with that line of thinking is that Boehly is very unlikely to enable more spending than us. Chelsea’s losses, covered by Roman, have been measured at 900,000 per week over the length of his ownership. For all the talk from Kenyon years back of becoming self-sufficient, they still don’t generate the revenue necessary to compete with the other top sides if they were using only their own money.

3 Likes

I think if we’re looking for a reason why Chelsea might be attractive is the scope of the role. It’s difficult to relate the roles of people at different clubs given the differences in structures, but my understanding is that Granovskaia’s responsibilities were more in line with what Gordon does, and so maybe he’d have more responsibility that he’d never get at Liverpool unless he could get an owner to step down from doing the day to day.

1 Like

Reddy posted this, personally don’t think he goes over yet, perhaps in the future, though Chelsea will have to buy into what he does. If they don’t he probably walks after a year or so.

Things can change numerous times across half a year or how much it was since Edwards decided to leave. Maybe the Chelsea or a different position wasn’t even available then.

1 Like

Chelsea’s finances are going to be more strict than FSG’s. That doesn’t mean they aren’t going to spend. But Boehly borrowed a lot of money, and interest has to be paid.

1 Like

Yeah, I think it’s difficult to see it any other way. They don’t generate the revenue we do and the nature of their investment is different than ours and will almost certainly be expected to be paid out with money coming out the club more aggressively than is the case with us. They might actually end up close to Spurs in terms of economic strength and buying power than they do Utd and City.

2 Likes

I wonder how tempted they are to clear out the players they have ready to go out on loan or in the academy just to get those loans paid off, while making a couple of high profile signings to fill the immediate gaps they have in the first team - and make recruitment next year onward a more low key kind of approach.