Darwin NUNEZ: 2022/23

I have a feeling Klopp will want to try and get minutes in Jota and Diaz legs as well as giving Gakpo game time hence why I think his selections.

Though wouldn’t surprise me if he goes with Nunez tomorrow.

The language thing isn’t good. Bobby never came across as a cunning linguist but it was never mentioned by Klopp re integration. I fear that Darwin hasn’t adapted sufficiently and could become a victim of team evolution

But Bobby learnt a bit of German and English during his time in Germany.

Darwin will come good. Preseason will help massively.

2 Likes

I distinctly remember Nunez saying that he’d learn English quickly or something to that effect in his presentation video.

I like him a lot and I think that he has a bright future but the fact that it’s now close to year since that video and he’s still struggling isn’t flattering. Unlike his numbers and output on the pitch which are not entirely up to him, his learning English was fully dependent on his application and willingness.

Maybe it’s harder for Spanish speakers but in my experience English are not that hard to grasp.

Maybe his English is passable at the moment… Just not fluent enough
Would be good to hear him being interviewed and he answers in English

In fairness, it’s not even English he’s learning, it’s Scouse.

Tom Cruise What GIF

2 Likes

‘is’, not ‘are’ :sweat_smile:

It’s a solid language to learn.

Fuck me, we love making mountains out of molehills.

4 Likes

And secondly, you can’t just grasp it these days, you need to ask permission first.

1 Like

Whilst I think he will be fine in the long run, what is happening in the short term for him not to be getting starts?

Is Jota better on the left than Nunez? I’d say not.

Is Cody better down the middle than Nunez? Maybe.

Clearly not showing Klopp enough in training maybe?

In that case Klopp wouldn’t have given him those mins. He is out of form, and Klopp is doing the right thing by giving him some mins to find his feet.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he has been carrying a knock.

2 Likes

I think this is probably the most likely, as he had an injury during the international window. Having a spell on the bench while he learns his game here is fine - and I think he is a great option to come on against tired legs too.

1 Like

But then Jota has just delivered us two wins previous to WHU and has been getting in positions to finish (was unlucky that Henderson’s flick on was too high).

As this moment in time I’d start those three starting.

No slight at Nunez but they are all in form.

2 Likes

This might be the explanation - also, Klopp’s recent comments on Jota seemed to suggest that Nunez probably still isn’t accustomed to the system, especially pressing. Not for the lack of trying, obviously, he tracks back like a demon but perhaps he still hasn’t come to grips with how to lead the press from the front.

6 Likes

This is the joy of having six forwards all legitimately competing to start (I’ve included Bobby), Nunez is going to have to up his game to get in ahead of any of those starting right now. We’ve been missing this for years; the likes of Minamino, Origi and Shaqiri were never real contenders to supplant our front three.

I’m not worried, he’s got loads of talent, think he’ll get is head down and work on his off-ball work.

6 Likes

Some players just don’t take instruction well. Ibe was a prime example of this. All the tools but never did what he was asked to do.

I hope Nunez comes good but it wouldn’t surprise me if he doesn’t adapt and we move him on at some point.

Whatever it is I’m not liking it, he should be starting games…don’t agree with Klopp that Jota and Gakpo press better than him. He was working his socks off playing in an unnatural position. For me he remains our biggest threat along with Mo.

I don’t understand the desire to change a side that has been winning games?

3 Likes

That’s probably the primary reason and if there are questions about Nunez’s long term future, that’s because he doesn’t seem to fit in with how we’ve been playing. Take Gakpo for instance and it’s obvious that he’s meant to slot in for Firmino. Nunez on the other hand is largely unsuited for that role and there are better options on the left which leaves him on the outside, looking in.

Nevertheless, writing him off would be foolish. He’s going to evolve under Klopp and the same can be said about the attack as a whole. Many may not realise it but between Nunez, Gakpo, Diaz, Jota and of course Salah we have one of the most promising and exciting forward lines in Europe. Can’t wait to see what Klopp does with it.

1 Like