Darwin Núñez (FW) Benfica

He would signal a change in appoach, but has areas to improve as well i.e. being part of the build up more.

He looks like a natural and ruthless finisher, which I’d say we need, especially when chances are lower against the low block teams.

6 Likes

Get 40 for Mane and spend 80 for Nunez. Probably leaves us enough to spend another 20 to 30m for a backup DM.

With backups for trent arriving , carvahlo already signed. This is a very good transfer window.

Theres still time for Salah to change his mind and sign an extension

2 Likes

Isn’t that one a no-brainer though ?

Guardian carrying the story also:

Surely we wouldn’t release this to all our journos unless it’s close, nothing gets out from the cub unless it’s close to being done these days.

1 Like

Can we have a comparision of Diaz and Nunez. Both different players ofcourse

Nunez was outstanding in two games against us, probably the only time most Liverpool fans had seen him play, but because some twitter scout posted a negative thread I’ve been seeing a lot of dismissive talk about him.

Trust the eye test. He looks a fantastic player. Scored against Liverpool (2) Barca (2), Ajax and Bayern this season.

Hopefully he goes the way of Torres, another ‘9’ player with a supposed long list of deficiencies before we signed him.

I think this has legs. Get it done.

11 Likes

If we can offload Mane for 40 , Minamino for 20. That will mostly pay for Nunez

1 Like

I am not too fussed on the transfer fees. 80m is what 50m was 4 years back.

1 Like

Nunez stats, number is the percentile he is in comparable to players in the top 5 leagues. Stats suggest his goalscoring and pressing abilities are top tier but his link up play/passing is very poor. If so might even see a slight shift in formation to have him as an out and out striker, leaving the link up duties to others, possibly even a 4 2 3 1 formation being utilised. Either way his stats suggest that Thiago, Trent, Robbo, and, when he plays, Tsimi are going to have fun feeding him

4 Likes

There should be a change in approach considering the attacking talents on display here… Maybe a 4-2-3-1 with firmino/carvalho as #10. Jota/Nunez to play upfront and Diaz and Salah on the wings.

This.

Quite possibly the reason why we never won the PL last year. The number of chances our forwards spurn at times is unacceptable. I got a load of grief for saying Salah wasn’t an out and out goalscorer but to me he’s not. This lad looks like a natural in front of goal.

6 Likes

I think we have hesitated buying from Portugal in the past because of the high fees demanded, so it will be interesting to see if we can get this over the line.

No doubt there will be a bit of domestic rivalry added with Benfica wanting to make sure that they are seen as getting top dollar when Porto couldn’t with Diaz. I imagine Diaz’s impact at Liverpool has probably not gone unnoticed in Portugal either.

We never had an out and out goalscorer under Klopp (sturridge might have become one but for his injuries and divock was mainly an impact sub)

And that’s what we’re missing.

Passing stats being poor can be a reflection of a player’s role in the team as much as a reflection on their ability. For Benfica he’s their target man, always on the shoulder, running the channels and getting in the box. That’s to say he’ll often be isolated.

He has low completion but high shot creating actions and high carries/touches in the area. If he’s always in those areas he will be losing the ball a lot, that’s normal.

7 Likes

Not sure about this. He seems to lack the qualities in the build up that Firmino and Mane have both brough to the nine position, so unless we’re planning to change approach, buying a more traditional goalscorer seems a bit of a weird one.

But not unheard of for Klopp. He did play with Lewandowski in dortmund.

6 Likes

Getting excited now!

1 Like

One word: United.

If we are indeed interested, its easy to see this play out where United in desperation offer something incredible and we’ll need Nunez to dig his heels in and the club will need to get as close as possible to United’s fee.