Darwin Núñez (FW) Benfica

Record, one of the Portuguese newspapers that broke the Diaz transfer news, are reporting that we’ve bid 100 mil (inc add ons) euros for Diaz. The figure obviously seems way too steep, but with Diaz the Portuguese media was initially reporting 70+ mil as the fee - even though they got the fee wrong they were right about the transfer. On top of that many journos have said we are interested in him but want to avoid a bidding war - one way of doing so is buying the lad before anyone else has a chance. Also seem to remember talk in early Jan that we liked Diaz, and the same before thiago deal, but didnt want to pay full price, so similar talk atm would not exclude us from attempting a deal and js standard for our journos now. Also part of the money for this would come from the Mane sale

The article says :
. He wants to join us after being impressed with our football and the anfield atmosphere
. We want the deal done to secure Mane replacement and want it asap - before Nunez goes on holiday
.another club is willing to offer more but he wants us
.madrid and psg monitoring situation
.100 mil is the fee, with negotiations happening on nature of add ons - how much of transfer fee is add ons and what they are. (If only Edwards was sticking around, itd be 20p upfront and the rest when Nunez breaks footballs all time scoring record :wink: )

If the mods feel this is not enough for opening a player specific thread please move it to the unreliable rumours thread.

4 Likes

I believe it when I see a lean …

2 Likes

Someone posted some stats a while ago about him that revealed he lacked some key attributes. Will be intetesting to see what the club do.

Only seen him play twice, so eight short of having a valid opinion anyways. Looks an exciting lad though.

5 Likes

Its on lads!

1 Like

Yeah, both at the same time. That normally means, in recent times anyway, that it’s done already.

2 Likes

Well, when it pours…another epic blow for my Kane agenda.

Am I making things up if I say Julian Ward used to have Portugal as one of his main areas of scouting…? Maybe not a coincidence we start to shop in that market as he comes into a more central role in the decision making group. Or maybe it is.

3 Likes

Hes picking us over Utd - clearly the lads got a footballing brain

4 Likes

100m? Geez… I already found the 60m for Diaz a madness… Portuguese clubs fleecing PL clubs has tradition, hasn’t it… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Swerve it if it is really that high. Transfer fees are insane these days, and I don’t want our club being involved with this mad inflation. Sign a few young talented players with potential to being developed into top players, like Carvalho and Ramsay, and it will do fine for me.

With the money left, continue to develop the existing club infrastructures into AAA level. Expand the stadium further if necessary, improve the training infrastructure even further etc. There is always something useful to do with the money, rather than to throw it out of the window for super-inflated fees.

1 Like

I must admit that while he scores alot of goals, I don’t think he is the kind of forward player we would buy. Firmino has transformed the no.9 position into one that Klopp could not have imagined before is possible. Nunez is not slow but is not superfast either so which means he needs his other qualities to compensate for that in the team of 11. Because if goalscoring qualities is the only strength he has, then it is not a player we would be buying. He needs to be hardworking and run in and across positions, covering different parts of the field (this, he seem to have). He needs to be versatile across forward positions, waiting upfront as the pivotal point of attack does not seem to fit in with the rest of the team. While personally I am not sure of him but if we are spending that amount of money on him, I think the conversation from Klopp is that, we simply must have him because Klopp and the management would never spend 85mil on a player where they think they can find many alternatives for, pretty much like Alisson and VVD purchases. And that would be a big statement because 85mil can buy plenty of forward players out there. So in Klopp we trust and if this comes true, then I would celebrate it firstly on buying one of the best young forwards out there right now and 2ndly, on putting one over the manures who have been talking as if Nunez is sure to come to them.

PS: I admit i shuddered whenever I see him with his tied up ponytail because it reminds me of Andy Carroll.

West Ham Celebration GIF by West Ham United

1 Like

Have I missed your post on Kane?

I want to read it. :slight_smile:

If the competition is United and Atletico, we should be clear favourites to win this battle, that is if we agree on a price of course.

F*ck United and their problems, he’ll probably have to be a slave for Ronaldo for the coming season also.

F*ck Atletico also, so many big money deals have failed over there, going back to someone like Jackson Martinez, etc.

Often the case that both sides report different fees, to look better to their own supporters, I’d take the 85m with a grain of salt for the time being.

1 Like

I thought he had the highest speed recorded in the Champions League this year or something?

5 Likes

He looks really fast to me, has that long Haaland like stride

1 Like

Really? I would be surprised because he does not look like a speedster anywhere near Salah or Mane. Speed he seems on Firmino’s level, decent pace, but I would be glad to be wrong.

Yeah, he was the Iberian scout. Signed some terrible players from there during that period. All hyped and then flopped.

Markovic, Moreno, Ilori, Teixeira, Aspas…

3 Likes
1 Like

That was me, and there were some decent rebuttals!

I also read he is like a peak Torres, so for that reason… I’m in.

Elliot and Thiago threading balls through to him. Boom!

1 Like
2 Likes

The gaffer on Nunez when we played them

1 Like