The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

To be fair the last one is just a fans view but yeah as someone who hates tempting fate this makes me cringe.

4 Likes

If Ten Old Hags has any sense, he should forget about going after the big and known names, because those players will have plenty of choices and this means only offering big money will tempt them and the more money they spend, the harder the fall they will prime themselves for. And if he uses his Ajax experience to the fullest extent, he should be looking out for players who are desperate for a stage to step up to, plenty of such players with fire and passion and skills to step up who are not flavours of the week. But I hope he doesn’t. I hope he spends 100s of millions bringing in big players to appease the shit fans and then fail season after season. It sure is satisfying hearing them grappling at every single minute detail to laugh at us when we just keep on adding trophies and wins over them.

3 Likes

Reading some of the post about Rashford on other works outside of football in the Darwin Núñez thread (god knows how that thread got side tracked in such a way), it reminds me of the recent news about a NFL player putting on hold his sports career and focused on helping out in the hospital during the Covid-19 pandemic. Now he suspended his career again and begin a residency program at a Montreal-area hospital. Maybe Rashford should move away from football (or, away from Manc) completely and start his career anew in social area.

2 Likes

Thanks for the post @CanuckoLFC interesting reading about Duvernay-Tardiff.

No need to move away from football - he needs to get out of the rut he is in by moving away from Man United. It seems like he only has a year left on the contract. He should lower his demands in the next deal and move away. There’s an option to extend it for another year, but he’d be mad to do that.

Emm, wrong thread guys?

1 Like

Yeah, trying to steer the Rashford talk away from the Darwin Núñez thread, but I am failing miserably.

This isn’t the NFL thread?!

1 Like

Why? Just why would you be so perverse?!

Ive got a funny feeling the “not willing to over pay” line will be trotted out a fair bit for Utd this window (said it about Nunez despite offering the same as us, and now saying it about De Jong) and they’re gonna go into next season with largely the same squad. De Jong has today been linked with City, Bayern, and PSG. Have Utd really fallen to the stage where they do the leg work so other clubs can seal transfers?

Season 3 Reaction GIF by The Simpsons

1 Like

Not only missing out on top 4, but also falling into the dreaded conference league will really hit them hard in terms of recruitment, I think

1 Like

I Hope Please GIF

1 Like

Contrary to the report linked a few posts above, the Guardian is reporting United have had a bid for De Jong rejected, £51m plus £7m or so in addons:

To be honest, I think they will get this deal done. After all, Barcelona are in dire need of money, Laporta wants to save face by doing some big deals (allegedly, he’s after Bernardo Silva and Raphinha, among other targets, and has to tie down Gavi to an expensive contract). Ten Hag knows him well, so he’ll probably get him back to his very best, which is exactly what Man United need in their midfield.

This transfer could be a win-win situation for everyone (Man United get the player who’s immediately going to become their best midfielder, Barcelona give his place to Gavi, the latest crown jewel of their academy, fund one or two big signings to appease the fans) but I hope we get to profit from it as well - if Barcelona fleece Man United, they might prize Bernardo Silva away from Man City (yes, he’d be crazy to leave but he is close to leaving every season, Guardiola somehow gets to keep him and he wins him the league). That said, it is highly unlikely that will happen, especially with Gundogan and Jesus leaving but one can hope.

1 Like

The failed bid goes in conjecture with the reports that Barca want 100 mil, an amount they know utd have because theyve just bid that much for Nunez. Utd are gonna trot out the not overpaying line a fair bit this summer

2 Likes

Nevertheless, it’s quite amusing to me that United fans to a man are apparently disgusted with the fee we’ve offered for a ‘one season wonder’ (now they’re not getting him, naturally), but are happy to pay a similar fee for a player who’s been shite all season…

3 Likes

To be honest, I think they are going to have to go through this. We did.

At the minute they are seen as pushovers, just like we were. There is a sense that you can just quote whatever price you want at them, and they’ll pay it because a) they’re desperate and b) they are loaded.

Missing out on a few targets while saying that they will not be held over a barrel is what they probably need to do.

They also need to have a sense of reality about who they can buy. They are not in the position to be getting top drawer targets. They need to be going for hungry players who can help them get top four and go from there.

3 Likes

Part of the contract negotiations for new players is they are exempt from thursday night football?

1 Like

The player they will never land to unlock the player who no longer plays for them

genius GIF

Why would frenkie de Jong downgrade from champions League football to Europa League?