Ding Dong.....the US Politics Thread (Part 1)

Banana Republic coming up.

Who doesn’t like bananas?

1 Like

Goes searching for that video of the GOP candidate who thought the use of the term Banana Republic in political discourse was just a commentary on them having shit clothes.

“Banana Republic? Jim, we’re not even good enough to be a Gap!”

Dan Crenshaw on Reels |?

Republics

I think even one of the banana republics would baulk at this character.

I’m genuinely baffled he was allowed to be sworn in. What the fuck.

At what point do the Dems start thinking about alternative candidates?

Also the past tense of slay is “slew”. And that’s the least of the problem with that sentence.

Seriously, he got all the votes through false pretences. He is not who we pretended to be. There should be a new voting process declared and he should be facing criminal charges

The US is truly fucked up

2 Likes

In all likelihood I think he will be , in the not too distant future

For an absolutely startling example of just how disingenuous those fuckers in the GOP can be , here’s Sen.Ron Johnson making a complete ass of himself , and being given , surprisingly , a very rough ride by an unusually irreverent Chuck Todd.

Wow.

Read the replies…apparently the police were going to leave.

Personally my favorite is “The onloy way to stop a bad toddler with a gun is with a good toddler with a gun”

I know I shouldn’t find that funny, but fuck it, the entire human race is going to hell anyway

4 Likes

That the joke makes perfect sense is deadset fucking outrageous.

2 Likes

Compare the above to the Euston drive-by.

The lady who runs a local foodbank was on LBC yesterday, she was an eye-witness and sheltered people in the immediate aftermath.

The shock at a single incident - albeit a pretty bad one - was palpable.

In the US, however, we have fucking TODDLERS getting their mits on handguns and wandering around outside.

The UK is in a bad place and lecturing feels a bit silly…but holy snapping dog turds…it would be the lead story in every single format imaginable if that happened.

4 Likes

Beech Grove is on the south side of Indianapolis, 20 miles from me. Crazy scenes. With hundreds of millions of guns in play, it is both shocking and not shocking to see a toddler with a firearm. You would have to think at least a fair portion of the gun owners won’t store them and lock them away correctly.

The whole country is nuts on this issue. I agree with the point above too, about news coverage.

England is starting to get a gun problem, (when I talked to my dad recently, he knew someone who was caught up in the shooting in Wallasey). The issue in England is not nearly on the same scale, but incidents still make national news and there is a shock value when something happens.

Here it all seems rather mundane, with shootings relegated to a mention on the local news, apart from the headline sort of mass shooting events, which attract more coverage, but even then, not always.

There isn’t the political will, or consensus required, to do something meaningful about the gun problem. I have lived here for 14 years and that is the conclusion I have come to. A small bill here and there might get passed, but it only nibbles at the periphery of the issues, and doesn’t really solve anything or significantly improve things.

It is as if America has accepted this is who we are and it’s part of the fabric of life here.

It is tragic.

3 Likes
1 Like

The cooler support for more aid may be due to a growing partisan divide on the issue. In the YouGov/CBS News poll, a narrow majority of Republicans (52 percent) wanted their representative in Congress to oppose aid, whereas 81 percent of Democrats wanted theirs to support it. A mid-December poll from CivicScience also showed a wide partisan gap, with 83 percent of Democrats supporting military aid to Ukraine versus 53 percent of Republicans. At the beginning of the war, though, support among Republicans was almost as high as it was among Democrats: In March, another YouGov/CBS News poll showed that 75 percent of Republicans and 80 percent of Democrats supported sending weapons and supplies to Ukraine.

Looks like the Russian money has worked…

1 Like

Almost everyone I know who has one for home defense doesnt store it consistently with responsible storage guidelines (weapon is kept unloaded and weapon and ammo both separately locked in separate secured locations). Someone, maybe Jim Jeffries, did a famous stand up skit about it.

2 Likes

We don’t even lock our door at night - although we don’t live in a heavily populated area either - so I can’t really relate to those who feel like they need to sleep with a rifle by their bed. However if you are that kind of person then separating your weapon from your ammo and then locking it all up probably feels counter productive.