Ding Dong.....the US Politics Thread (Part 1)

No. Personally, I think 82 is too old to run again. He shouldn’t be running, but that’s his business. I believe many Democrats have doubts about Biden because of his age. He’s vulnerable on that issue. Look at the third tweet down. Those are likely Democrat primary voters. 35% want someone else. IMO someone more credible than RFK, Jr. will be tempted.

https://twitter.com/EmersonPolling

I mean, I agree about the age, personally I think there should be an upper age limit as well as a lower. But that would have disqualified both Biden and Trump last time round.

2 Likes

We can’t change the past, but perhaps the voters will disqualify them both this time around. :-1:

Isn’t it an internal Party thing, to determine who contests the Presidency? The Dems will have a process, and even though he is old, as incumbent Biden will likely go through on a nod and a wave, without much of a fight, if any.

On the Republican side it is trickier, as there are probably a few who would like to run, but to one degree or another, I would imagine they see the futility of going up against Trump, as you just get covered in shit, and he will turn his base on you.

It’s not the contest we want, or deserve, but it looks like it will be Biden v Trump, again.

Arguably at some point justice might catch up with Trump to end his prospects, but I am not hopeful about that. I think he will be dead first before justice meaningfully catches up. I fully expect it to be a bit like Jimmy Savile, not necessarily in the type of crime, but rather in the extent and longevity.

Quickly after Trump dies there will loads of introspection. How did we let this go on for so long? How did we let him rise to that office? Etc.

1 Like

When people vote for Biden, they might actually be swayed by who he has as VP

Don’t you live in America and should already know this?

Of course I do.

But instead of saying, forthrightly, “You are wrong, and this is how it is…” it is much more emotionally intelligent to ask a question.

Forums go to shit when we are all way too assertive.

Anyway, both Trump and Biden are too old, but it is not up to the public to rule them out. It is on their respective parties to put forth their preferred candidate to the electorate.

2 Likes

What I can’t for the life of me understand is why the Democrats can’t manage to build up a strong candidature with someone younger and more appealing than Biden. The Republicans might have been taken over by the lunatics, but they too will probably go with that fat and corrupted old fart again.

This is a gerontocracy, not a well-functioning democracy.

Again though, a party (or, the people who make up a party) cannot practically nominate a candidate who doesnt put themselves up for it.

The conventional wisdom on what it means for a president running for reelection and getting a challenge from within the party is so strong that it now has a sense of being self-reinforcing. If everyone thinks that only weak candidates get challenged, then any challenge automatically makes the country view the president as a weak on and undermine them. No one wants to be the person whose primary campaign undermined Biden and helped put Trump in the white house Sure, there is any number of scenarios people can game out for how that wouldnt be how it would it play out, but anyone who might be interested would definitely be channeling Omar’s street wisdom in not being too eager to get involved

I think the best case you can make for it is to run a single issue campaign and one not even about his age per se, but based on his promise that administration would be one that passed the baton to the next generation. He never actually said it, but it was commonly interpreted as meaning he’d only serve 1 term. There is the opportunity for someone to run a campaign that simply says “I agree with Joe on everything and would gladly vote for him again, but some people voted for him in 2020 thinking someone else would be the party candidate in 24. This campaign is simply giving the party an opportunity to decide if they think that time should be now.” You could theoretically run that campaign without damaging your standing in the party and possibly even strengthening Biden if he comes through it. But it’s not a campaign that is designed to win, it’s one designed to make someone the front runner for 28.

To me there is some echo of the Ruth Bader Ginsburg situation here. She chose to hang on in her job when the prudent course was to allow President Obama to pick her replacement. That paved the way for Roe V. Wade to be overturned.

People assume Biden would beat Donald Trump because he did it in 2020, but I see a lot of risk in that confidence. 1) Though he seems to have a large lead now, Trump may not be the nominee, and Biden may find himself on the debate stage with someone who brings Biden’s age into starker relief. 2) Biden may decay to the point that a year and a half from now the debate performance itself might lead to him losing the election. His election victory in 2020 really wasn’t that large. Tens of thousands of votes in key states. Close enough to reverse.

He puts his own party, many of whom have never been too warm to him and are even less so now, in the difficult position of having to back him or sack him when discretion would obviously call for him to retire, just as it did for RBG.

It’s a relevant comparison, but just one with completely different dynamics. You can call for RBG’s retirement without undermining her ability to do her job. As a Democrat you simply cannot say these things out loud without it necessarily hurting Biden’s chances. There is no doubt the conversation has been had, but once he and his team have decided to go for it then it’s difficult to go public without losing standing in your party and possibly helping Trump get back in

1 Like

Heard he uses this

How about considering a Singaporean to be your president? At the very least, I will mandate that USA will use Celsius and metrics instead of some funny system they think make them cool.

1 Like

id imagine the arts grants would be increased too?

Seagulls would be the Federal Bird

1 Like

I forget which case, but in the last session there were indications given that this court would be open to overturning what has come to be called the Chevron Doctrine, which has become the foundation of how our regulatory agencies work. Without this, the work of federal regulatory agencies becomes significantly obstructed. Well, here we are…

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1653033773389209602?s=20

Q the NASA gag and subsequent debunking then rebuttal.

For reference, some of the guidance was metric but the hardware was built in imperial.

There’s a city called Cut and Shoot…in Texas. Figures

2 Likes

Where do you think this is - Scanda-fucking-navia?

1 Like