Ding Dong.....the US Politics Thread (Part 1)

Looks every bit like a TIA (mini stroke). Often there is no direct damage, but is a big red flag over future (near term) risk of a damaging stroke.

1 Like

Oh nooooooooo

Nah he’s absolutely deserving of a horrible death. But knowing how these things go, your outcome is much more likely

1 Like

Kentucky only really became part of the south after the civil war. It was south of the Mason-Dixon line, but declared neutrality in the war and actively fought the confederacy’s attempts to incorporate them to the point of essentially joining the union.

Their commitment to retrospectively joining a defeated cause they actively opposed is one fo the weirdest parts of American culture.

2 Likes

Yep. And every time I drive through that way, I see more confederate flags than you can shake a stick at. It’s like the Dukes of Hazzard!

I hear you, I really do.

But things are so entrenched, and so polarized, that my hope is that something, somewhere, might soften, to give us even a tiniest glimpse of a better future.

Seeing a frail old man short circuit like that, in front of the watching media, made me hope - likely forlornly - that a few might start acting more like compassionate humans again.

I’ve seen them flown prominently the last few years in Ohio, Michigan, even New England.

Could have posted this in the Climate thread, but maybe even more pertinent here, given recent discussions about the importance of the next presidential election…

ruh roh Raggy.

More than a few already do. Unfortunately the ones who don’t are all in McConnell’s party and they don’t exhibit any inclination whatsoever. If anything , they are getting even worse.

1 Like

Also, this guy is clearly too old for politics. He should have retired ages ago.

The current geriocracy is one of the big problems I see in US politics. Old, half absent-minded men decide the fate of the new generations in a highly critical and rapidly changing time. That isn’t right.

3 Likes

In both of today’s NYT and WAPO there are pieces on this subject. There was polling done last year that suggested that a majority of Americans would support age limits. Incredibly , if the cut-off age were to be at sixty then 71 percent of the Senate would be barred from holding office.

Without having to access the actual article , the third piece down in today’s WAPO front page shows a graph which perfectly illustrates the problem.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/?reload=true&_=1690700185753

3 Likes

One of the problems is that not everyone ages at the same rate.

Bernie Sanders and Mitch McConnell are the same age, 81. One of them is still sprightly and sharp as a tack. The other has been a mumbly old duffer for a while now, but just lately it has accelerated to the point he froze up and stared into the middle distance as he had an episode the other day.

Setting an arbitrary upper age limit is going to penalize some people who can still make a great contribution. Still, that’s what I think needs to be done, because some people just won’t see sense and bow out graciously.

Retirement age + 4 more years (one Presidential term) should be the new upper limit.

When you are 71, move over and get out of the spotlight.

3 Likes

I’ve read plenty of critiques that analyse Ron DeSantis’ shortcomings and the implosion of his campaign , but none come close to this long and detailed piece by Sidney Blumenthal for The Guardian.

I’ve added two of the campaign ads that are discussed. (In case anyone needs reminding what an utter twat this guy is.)

1 Like

De Santis, the man who cannot get an endorsement from anyone who works in the Florida state house vs Trump, the man who is publicly opposed by all but about 3 members of his cabinet, one of whom was fired within about 4 weeks of the inauguration

The perfect illustration of the Vibe based control of political opinions

2/3 of primary voters view Trump as someone who gets things done. What are the major things he ran on? The deficit - LOL. The wall - nope. Obamacare repeal - famously nope. It was a long running joke through the adminstration that everything he promised was 2 weeks away from being presented to the public (his health care plan) only to then never appear. The only tangible areas you can point to success are the courts and Operation warp speed.

The court success was the result of McConnel’s historical abrogation of his role and the happenstance of a convenient death. And Operation warp speed is something the was achieved only because it was a break glass style operation a president’s office didnt have to do anything to make happen, and is something Trump has to run away from.

But he makes the snowflakes angry. So that is likely what these voters are thinking of.

2 Likes

I find this interesting on a couple of levels.

1. Trump has praised him and said “he was very nice”
  2. He is spouting stuff left right and centre

I wonder if the two (points) are related. Has Vivek made a deal with Trump - basically he spouts a bunch of outrageous things, the pollsters do their number crunhing, Trump gets elected and Vivek get a nice job/contract/something.

Vivek has the money already that Trump dreams of having. I think he is one of the few who isnt in it for the financial grift, but still isnt a serious person and so appears to be chasing attention.

I’m thinking Pegula (and by comparing, sadly doing her a dis-service). She obviously doesn’t need money but craves recognition on a different level. In a similar way Vivek doesn’t need money but craves recognition and thinks this is it - as you say.

Yeah, he isnt a tech bro, but he has the persona of one. Someone who has so internalized the idea that the money they earned is entirely based on their brilliance and so is a demonstration of their natural place in the pecking order and then seem intent on trying to make everyone validate that idea.