Ding Dong.....the US Politics Thread (Part 1)

He is so dangerous because people believe him, which is of course both sad and hilarious

It’s the same old cycle

1. Trump makes clear his intentions
  2. A section of the country reacts to the damage even suggesting doing the thing causes
  3. The self-identified reasonable people go all in criticizing us for over-reacting, and downplay the prospect of Trump doing the thing he says very clearly he’s going to do
  4. Trump then does the thing
  5. The “reasonable people” ask how could we have known Trump was going to do thing, and then move on to downplaying that the thing was really not that bad
  6. We eventually get reporting that Trump was crystal clear he really did always intend to do the thing and the people telling us he wouldnt do it really knew he was intending to.
  7. no lessons are learned
4 Likes

Did he go on to explain what he would have done to prevent it?

I don’t know but doubt it. But he has said this many times before (that Russia would never have dared to attack with him as president).

De Santis establishing his credentials as being as awful as Trump. But the collaboration of DHS officials is very troubling - who knows how many times they have done similar in lower profile situations.

The Obama people came pretty quickly to view DHS as a massive mistake, with sections of it believing they were briefed to act as “deep state” and some sections, notably ICE and CBP going rogue routinely and often outwardly hostile to the white house.

Cruelty is the point. That’s what gets these fuckers excited.

1 Like

Don’t know who the woman was in the clip, but she spoke very well, seemed to understand the issues, and demonstrated compassion.

I would vote for her. We need leaders like that.

De Santis is largely cut from the same cloth as Trump. Smarmy cruel bastard that one. But for all those who like Trump, he’s just the sort they would go for too.

If Trump is going to throw his hat back in the ring for another Presidential run, ideally De Santis does not merely step aside, but they both go at it, tearing strips off each other, leading to a Democrat win.

I do find it funny/validating that they sent these people to Massachusetts, and particularly the extremely rich part of Mass in Martha’s Vineyard, with the express purpose of showing that “liberals” don’t want immigrants near them any more than conservatives do. However, the local community reacted to this unexpected arrival by quickly organizing food, shelter and a children’s play area.

At the heart of conservative politics is the idea that everyone, deep down, is just as hateful and racist as they are. It’s not true.

3 Likes

Anyone with a Republican badge will garner a minimum of 45% of the vote in this country but, and I say this hesitantly because I didn’t predict Trump winning, but he lacks any of the charisma or personality that Trump does. As vile as Trump is he has shown an ability to hold an audience. De Santis is actually incredibly boring so I think he’d get ripped apart in live debates (no doubt why he’s putting on these performative actions now). I think he will eventually be advised not to run for President.

I think this is important and very much misunderstood. He plays a very convincing trump, but it is an act. He is a nasty shit, but in terms of the way he presents himself publicly, it is a stage managed act purposefully crafted to try to remind people of Trump. His speaking cadence, his manerisms, even his weird posture. Sometimes you can turn into the person you pretend to be, and so after 4 years of doing it maybe he’s internalized a bit of it, but so much of his strongman routine is enabled by the power of the governorship which he uses to carefully control all his appearances. Once that is stripped away on the campaign trail, and its him the person, not him the Governor, I suspect he’s going to come across a small and pathetic little man the way Rubio and Christie both did.

2 Likes

I’d been reading about how Trump had begun to notice his copycat routine , and so had others apparently ;

Edit : Just to add to what a horrible little twat he is. There’s also the thing he does whenever he comes under any serious scrutiny from the press during his conferences . I’ve seen him do it a couple of times when he’s cornered with some particularly uncomfortable questions. Apparently shocked that people don’t believe every word he says and would dare to disparage him , he will feign surprise , which soon turns to disdain. His face will contort and he will pout like a child. Reminds me very much of how Kavanagh behaved during his confirmation battle. Another privileged and self-entitled little prick.

1 Like

This is a potentially interesting story

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/education/article266135956.html

FIU is not a prestigious university, but its the second biggest in Florida, located in a great place to live if you have the money, and for positions of this size you will have that money - this would probably would be negotiated at somewhere between 700k-1m a year plus benefits. The Board of Trustees engaged over 70 candidates was unable to find anyone who was willing to even be considered for the role so ended up having to offer it to the interim who had previous stated he had no desire to become a permanent hire.

There is some scandal to clean up at the school, but its difficult to see this as anything other than qualified people not wanting to move to Florida to work in public education because of De Santis

1 Like

And possibly emblematic of the country as a whole atm (or at least the red states) , where the villification and harrassment of teachers , librarians and school boards seems to be the latest witch-hunt that the MAGA crowd have embarked upon. Shameful behaviour from a portion of society who just don’t seem to give a fuck anymore.

In that context, are the GOP missing a trick. If they transport the migrant to areas of democrat rule, but with local republican oversight, and make them welcome, they can over time overturn “difficult to flip” democrat states?

Hopefully the beginning swing in a long and bloody fistfight!

1 Like

This is possibly the most predictible finding from this story and is the perfect distilation of modern American Conservative governance

The company who were contracted to fly the migrants from Texas is owned by a politically connected high $ De Santis donor.

Fiscal conservative presents a persona that is strongly critical of wasteful government spending, then spends government money in a PR stunt designed to hurt people they dont like as a way of ushering tax revenue into the pockets of people who will bolster their political aspirations. Rinse-repeat.

You can see this in the various culture war bills he has tried to pass that are on their face unconstitutional and sure to be challenged in court and lose. But he runs with them anyway because it is a win-win for him. It gives him great PR to able to stump for anti-CRT, anti-woke governance, funnel public money into the pockets of big, high $ law firms who then owe him and sit back knowing that his inevitable legal losses wont get reported on with anything like the same clamor as his initial PR stunts.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/scott-maxwell-commentary/os-op-florida-legal-bills-desantis-scott-maxwell-20220621-cy2n6jjiyjaazaglgpbzh2ohv4-story.html

1 Like

Related

We support free speech! Down with the snowflakes and their cancel culture!

3 Likes