Ding Dong.....the US Politics Thread (Part 1)

The responses from people within the GOP sphere yesterday to the trump verdict should chill everyone to their core. The only one I saw that was remotely in the ball park was Romney, and people are only treating that as saying the right thing because everyone was so far away from the right response.

Is the way the judiciary seen the problem, ie it is a tool of the left???

Holy fuck … Santos could be looking at 20years !

It looks like an open and shut case. Surely he’s going to have to plead guilty at the first opportunity and try and extract whatever leniency he can from the court.

Politically speaking though , McCarthy has said he would only move to expel him if found guilty. A guilty plea would obviously short circuit that process and presumably the GOP would be looking at an even slimmer majority in the House in the very near future.

Santos to adopt the little-used ‘Shaggy defence’.

A person like that, does he even know what the truth is?

Good question.

I just want him to explain the volley-ball claim under oath.

1 Like

It’s one thing to apparently lie about having two college degrees, working at Goldman Sachs and Citigroup, losing four employees in the Pulse nightclub shooting, his grandparents surviving the Holocaust and his mother escaping the South Tower on 9/11.

But being a volleyball star at a commuter school in the heart of Manhattan?

what a fucking dickhead this guy is. how do these guys get into politics? I don’t understand.

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1656292705863979008?s=20

3 Likes

That’s why Biden should invoke 14th Amendment over debt ceiling and dare the Court to destroy the global economy.

If the Court upholds the debt ceiling, then the Court will immediately lose its powers overnight, because Biden will (or, will have to) ignore the Court to prevent default. Court rulings will become advisory opinions very quickly.

1 Like

Why does it say he surrendered when he was taken into custody?
General question Semmy not trying to put you on the spot, it wasn’t you who said that.
It’s a weird way of putting it as if he’s cooperating when his track record seems to differ enormously as lying and cheating is by no means cooperating.

It means he presented to the coppers on his own, they didn’t have to go out and physically arrest him before they took him into custody.

1 Like

He didn’t want to be shot. :cowboy_hat_face:

I heard he invented the AR-15.

Do any of our US posters (or anyone else) think Kemp would actually pull the trigger and remove Willis ?

She’s an elected official. That’s a law that is likely to be challenged in court because I’m sure there are already legal mechanisms to remove a district attorney.

I think he might try, especially as Trump gains more momentum.

But I think it will be legally challenged as El Dorado says. But even at that point, it will slow possible prosecution and tie it up in legal knots, so Trump will probably be President before it is even prosecuted.

The Republican law is written as though it tries to keep Attorneys General in touch with everyday life, and to not be out of touch, but to support the police and prosecutors and so on. However…

That’s not the intent. The intent is to squash what should be an independent judiciary, from going near Trump. It’s part of the wider scheme, across the nation, for Republicans to control the legal system and stack it in their political favor.

There’s also the larger issue to which the article pointed. Republicans view some of these liberal DAs as soft on crime. George Gascón in Los Angeles particularly has this reputation about not prosecuting fully cases brought to him by the police. Of course, again, these are elected officials. If the people don’t like what they are doing, they can elect someone else.

Well yeah , I was kinda convinced that whatever their reasons for passing the law , it wasn’t specifically designed to help Trump. There’s certainly no love lost between the Governor and the ex-President and short of Kemp being surreptitiously being made an offer he couldn’t refuse , I can’t see how he would be persuaded to take such a step.

Still , with all things Trump , there remains the suspicion that it’s a possibility , even though in the piece it does state that the Prosecuting Attorneys Qualifications Commission , which will decide cases , will not be hearing complaints until Oct 1.

That would take us beyond the window (July - Sept ) that Willis has given for announcing any indictments.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/abby4thepeople/status/1657702516891721730?s=20

1 Like

We need more of this sort of reporting. Dont tell us what the lying liar said about their policy. Report what is actually in it

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1658519929534939155?s=20

4 Likes