Diogo JOTA: 2020/21

6 Likes

Thatā€™s a really cool video! Jota is genuinely excited to be a Liverpool player and be here with the club.

3 Likes
1 Like

So he fits our playing style, will be happy with a more supportive role at least initially, presses a lot, is extremely inconsistent but when it clicks for him heā€™s unplayable. Heā€™ll either be a decent enough cover option for a few years before moving on in search of starting football or Klopp and Pep will work their magic and that inconsistency will vanish making him practically unplayable most of the time. At which point heā€™ll be a real challenge to our front three keeping them on their toes or even putting Firmino under threat or making Klopp change to a front 4 more often to get them all in. Got a feeling this may end up like the last time we bought a ā€œcoverā€ player who was our most expensive attacking signing (Salah) and he could well be a starter in quick order. Hopefully simply because heā€™s been good and not due to others being bad, injured or departing.

2 Likes

Yeh, the more I read and going over videos of him the more I feel like this

2 Likes

Probably get to see him tonight. Think with him left, Minamino centre and Elliott right. Jones most attacking CM. Unless Klopp feels he needs to somehow squeeze the likes of Origi and Shaqiri in whilst they are still here. Maybe 4231 in which case Iā€™ll hope for Jota as the 1 instead of Origi. Jones left, Minamino centre, Shaqiri right. Origi off the bench.

@Zoran I was coming here to post that Simon Cox piece. I think he is one of the better writers out there at using stats in context to analyze a situation, so I always read with interest what he has to say. In my head I viewed him as a massive pain in the arse to play against, but didnt have much of a perspective on his quality. This interpretation seems to bolster the former, and what PL is saying seems to argue for the latter being no issue.

2 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s how I feel about him. Stylistically? I very much see the point from our side, thatā€™s clear to see. Heā€™s a very active player in both directions, very hungry to be involved in multiple aspects of the game. But in terms of quality (not like he doesnā€™t already have good quality), ceiling, years ahead, room for development? Thatā€™s the bit Iā€™m not sure about. Klopp said something similar. I think weā€™ll take it step by step. Hopefully heā€™s able to be a much more serious backup/rotation option than all other ones (Minamino is also showing signs of life and could be useful at least for a bit). And then down the line letā€™s see if he can basically become a replacement for one of those (weā€™ll look at him mainly on the left, though that doesnā€™t have to be Mane, who can also play on the right).

2 Likes

Michael Cox in the Athletic has done a really nice piece on Jota and how he plays. Highlights his ability to draw red card fouls from his opponents, through his pressing CBs and pace when running onto long balls - immediately made me think of Sadioā€™s run against Chelsea that led to him being brought down and the defender sent off.

3 Likes

I was thinking of that too and Semedo just throwing up the white flag and grabbing Sadio during the second leg against Barca.

3 Likes

I Jota really good feeling heā€™ll do extremely well in tonightā€™s game.

7 Likes

:eyes:

2 Likes

Really hope he plays against Lincoln today. I just canā€™t wait to see how he fits inā€¦

Thatā€™s in part because I just havenā€™t seen him play much and so I have no idea what expectations to have.

1 Like

:upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Diogoal Jota!!!

But but Werner hasnā€™tā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

:rofl: Filth. Utter filth.

1 Like

Wow,Jota has got a lovely womanā€™s arse,bonus.

2 Likes
8 Likes

Heā€™s a little shit, isnā€™t he. Youā€™d just hate to have to mark him for 90 mins. I love these sorts of players.

8 Likes