Diogo JOTA: 2023/24

His return coming at a good time, with Mo about to leave.

He’s got that killer instinct that Darwin, Diaz and Gakpo haven’t quite shown this year.

4 Likes

I don’t know if this is actually true, but it always feels as if he’s better coming off the bench.

Terrible dive, just needed to slot it with his left.

Fucks sake. It wasn’t a dive.

He is running and the keeper clips his ankle. The reason it’s a delayed reaction is because the foot that is caught isn’t the next one to be planted.

Occam’s razor. If Jota can tap the ball into an open goal, he doesn’t throw himself down. No striker would, never mind one as ruthless as Jota.

3 Likes

I’m going to lean on the side of the not-a-dive.

We know players like Jota love their individual stats, and he’s definitely not going to give up a chance he has to get his name onto the scoresheet. He’s also well aware that he wouldn’t be taking the penalty.

I’m on the other side of those who say that we would have been enraged had it been given against us. If Alisson had done that, my heart would have sunk.

Don’t think it helps when they show those replays in slow motion. Makes the contact look minimal, when in reality any player moving at that speed is going to be knocked off balance no matter how subtle the contact may have been.

I think the problem is not the contact, because there was definitely one. Its the delay in going down which makes people think he dived, which he didn’t.

1 Like

Doesn’t their keeper admit contact in an interview after the game, as is quoted earlier in this thread?

3 Likes

Think you’re thinking of the post-match thread?

Diogo Jota responding to Alan Shearer claims that he dived:

"Listen, of course I saw some comments from ex-players and people who are paid to talk about situations, The only thing I can say is even the keeper said it was a touch and I didn’t feel the conditions to stay up. So that’s it.

“Would I rather put the ball in the net than see Mo take a penalty? Yes, of course. That’s what I like to do - to score goals. That’s all I have to say.”

5 Likes

“Didn’t feel the conditions to stay up”, coming from a player who’s got one of the best balance on his feet right now, regardless if the motion takes him right or left. Next time, score, don’t go to the ground.

Another two classic Jota finishes today, killer. :slight_smile:

Jota got so used to coming and scoring as substitute that he didn’t score until 70min :laughing:

2 Likes

3 Likes
1 Like

Just been told it’s an ACL……

Edit: doubt it is reliable

Knowing his luck, club’s luck, his susceptibility to injuries and the similar injury that happened to Diaz at Arsenal, I’ll be very surprised if it’s not an ACL injury or something else that requires very long absence. I’d be surprised if he was fit and ready for the start of the next season.

The reports are all saying PCL. Still not great but totally different situation

How long is the typical layoff with this type of injury ?

Hugely variable but in part because it is rarely injured in isolation from other parts of the knee also going.

1 Like

I had a PCL.

Though I spent 3 months waiting for the brace and so on, all in all that took me 7 months out of the brace and in the gym.

Depends what stage, if it’s 3 he will need surgery, 2 which I had may require surgery but they monitor it. I assume that’s the issue really with it.

He will probably be fine to walk on it with a bit of pain, joint basically just moves out of position. He will probably end up in a brace asap anyhow.