D.O.B.: 04.12.1996.
Town of Birth: Massarelos
Country of Birth: Portugal
Nationality: Portuguese

So where did the Jota part came from :thinking:

It’s Portuguese for the letter J.

We’re literally calling him Diogo J.

2 Likes

Just thought it worth highlighting Jota’s role in the opening goal vs Man U last weekend in this thread. The main Sky Sports footage doesn’t show it, but it is on the LFC footage on the offal (behind paywall).

When Gravenberch intercepted Casimero’s hospital pass, Jota instantly indicated to Diaz/Szbozo to run back post, which they did, as he carried his own run towards the centre. He then indicated to Gravenberch/Salah to cross back post as he dragged the United defenders away from the back post, leaving it all open there. Gravenberch fed it to Salah, who lofted it towards the back post - and we know what happened.

The in-game communication and smarts of Jota there was probably one of my favourite parts of Sunday. He didn’t score or assist, but he didn’t get a sniff either, yet his runs and movement down the middle were crucial.

8 Likes

Yeah it was a brilliant example of if you see your teammate already unmarked in one space, stay the fuck away so you don’t drag a defender with you into it. He saw it, indicated to Mo where to play it, then pinned De Ligt to the front post area. All it takes from here to ruin the opening is for him to have taken even a couple of steps of his run angling back towards the spot, pulling De Ligt with him, to make that a cross the defender has a chance of getting over to and blocking.

2 Likes

I dare say Lucas would have been proud of him

2 Likes

1 Like

Are you sending up a Zagsignal?

Great for us but the Portugal manager really hates him I guess.

2 Likes

I wish more international managers had that attitude towards our players.

4 Likes

What are we talking about?

Basically he seems lucky if he plays 5 minutes

Jota starting for Portugal tonight against Scotland in place of Ronaldo. Hoping he has a good performance and his subbed off well before the end.

Robbo starting too

1 Like

Just watching it now. I have a bad feeling that we will get battered.

Isn’t that natural for anything Scottish?

6 Likes

Bloody Hell. Scotland 1:0 up.

Wrong thread actually.

1 Like
3 Likes

What do you guys think on his injury? Is it serious?

Looked to be ribs. So could be a small absence but unlikely to be a long one.

2 Likes

I snapped a rib cartilage once… was in agony for months - It really restricted both my general movement, and ability to rest/relax at any point of the night or day…!
Really painful at all times.

For anyone interested in what the injury to Jota could be, might have an interest in this…

Rib Cartilage Injury - Masnad Health Clinic

3 Likes