Downunder Thread

Family have a place on Tivoli Avenue and love the spot

wow catching crocodiles
nice hobby to have and a wholesome family outing
 “Kids, its the holidays
shall we go catch some crocodiles!”

:laughing: :laughing:

When can I come visit. Spent some time at Milk beach just up the street!

This thread is weird. The posts are related to the thread. Get a grip guys.

Look at this guy putting in a bit of practice before going camping in Australia :0)

Hahaha. Think he was just practicing to go into the backyard, mate. We don’t wear all that fancy safety gear down here mate! :joy:

Talking about Australian attitudes to danger - here is an ABC article (and video) celebrating hammerheads swimming next to QLD beaches:

Dr Meynecke from Griffith University’s Coastal and Marine Research Centre said about 40 scalloped hammerhead sharks have been swimming off Burleigh Heads since late March.

“I literally pay thousands of dollars to swim with sharks in other places around the world and here we have them at our doorstep and in two metres of water.”

“Those juvenile ones don’t actually present any danger unless somebody tries to grab the tail and flip it around and kiss it,” he said.

“Anything that small are generally scared of people.”

But he said people should still maintain a safe distance, even as the sharks migrate north ahead of winter.

“One of those sharks could think that you’re a fish.”

In 2020, a man was killed by a shark while he was surfing near bait fish at Greenmount Beach on the southern Gold Coast.

Snakes in cars:

That clip reminds me
 There was plenty of Sunday Night Grab a Grannies, from The Grafton nightclub, that were also excellent at handling snakes in a car :0)

I know exactly where this is. Just up the beach from Currumbin Sanctuary. That’s is an absolutely stunning part of the world, I’d move just south of there (Brunswick Heads) in a heartbeat. North of it is Surfer’s Paradise, not my cuppa. far too western/commercialized.

2 Likes

Best thing ever to come out of Oz is this video.

/thread

maybe?

followed by:

Love these. The wankers in the boat is funny, the second one I feel sorry for the Kanga and the man.

And on a completely different note, WTF are Macquarie dictionary thinking:

https://www.macquariedictionary.com.au/blog/article/905/

Word of the year is going to be something which is in enormously wide circulation, and which somehow captures the flavour of the year,” Sussex said.

“Now, in 2013, I think it was selfie, which is an Australian one and actually got up as word of the year for us, in Australia, and for the British.”

Sussex said these terms were uniquely Australian.

“Cozzie livs, meaning cost of living, is in formation because we take each word and turn it into a diminutive and then put an S on the end as if the whole thing is a noun,” he said.

“Which is creative and very typical of us.”

Yeah nothing to be proud of. Sounds stups if you ask me.

First Australian guy I ever met in the UK, worked in a Circus as a human cannonball
 He told me he was on £60per week wages
 plus mileage :0)
To this day, I still don’t know if he was pulling my leg, or he was actually serious

Big News!
I’ve been granted permanent residence in the land of Oz :slightly_smiling_face::+1:t4:

Pretty hilarious right in the middle of the Ashes, but very happy nevertheless. Back to Sydney in October :sunglasses:

Ps Mods can we merge the Australia threads?

4 Likes

Berlin won’t be the same without you :slightly_frowning_face:

Thanks Ifti. It’ll be marginally worse, of course, but I’ll be here in the summer months.
Trying to maximise the benefits.
Watching LFC at 7am is the only downside.

The scenes when he leaves will make the reunification celebrations look like a Man City open-top bus trophy tour.

2 Likes