England National Team

Winning what? The World Cup? Or against any half decent sides like Italy or Germany…

The hype around this England team amazes me, no other nation in the World Cup take us seriously except maybe USA and Iran. We’re not with the top tiers like Portugal France Spain Brazil Belgium etc…we’re in with the 2nd rates like Denmark Croatia Argentina and Uruguay & even then any of those are easily capable of knocking England out.

All managers end up getting sacked. So they are entitled to make their decisions.

I don’t like the decision Southgate has made on Trent, but I can see his working. If I’m a safety first sort of manager, and if I deployed a lump like Maguire at the back, I would want more than Trent alongside him to give me some defensive insurance.

As Liverpool fans we know better than everyone else what Trent can bring to the party - a smattering of goals, some spectacular, and a regular supply of vision, a great range of passing and a rate of assists up there with the best attacking midfielders in the game. It is astonishing.

Trent is a phenomenon who is redefining the position, even if so far this season he has been below his best (same as everyone else at Liverpool, to be fair).

Southgate has some good right back options to choose from. I disagree with him dropping Trent, but the decision is his, and we will see how England do.

My best prediction: tight uninspiring games and edging it, until the QF, something like that… when a team with some balls, and some craft, crosses paths with England and knocks them out.

1 Like

The way I would like to categorise this is simple… David Beckham was lauded as the best passer of the ball by far when he played for Ingurland… The managers at the time and the suits at the FA always found a place in the team/squad for Mr ‘Sun Shines Out of His Arse’ Beckham… Yet he never defended, couldn’t tackle, was never a prolific goal scorer, never used his left foot for anything other than standing on it… couldn’t sprint to save his life, and never in a million games would he have ever spotted Divock in the Barca penalty area when that corner was to be taken…
To me… Trent at 23yrs of age is better than Beckham ever was…
There is a reason why Southgate could never make an impact as a PL manager of note… He is shite at the job
Ingurlands loss is Liverpool’s gain is the way I look at it…

4 Likes

Maguire plays on the left side.

You are quite right sir!

Still, the general point is that with a compromised player like him in the backline, and a manager that errs on the side of caution first, it’s not difficult to see why Southgate would omit Trent.

I disagree with him, as I think fortune favours the brave, but that’s not who Southgate is.

1 Like

Never thought I would feel sorry for a Pom playing for United.

But I do feel for McGuire. The pile on is incredible…yeah I know he is no Virgil and he cost a lot.

Hope the poor cunt is OK and stays off the social media sewer.

1 Like

Reece James out of the World Cup.

And the replacement is…

James Justin
Nathaniel Clyne
KWP
Max Aarons
Wan Bissaka?

Gareth spoilt for choices.

Well Done Football GIF by Liverpool FC

2 Likes

Don’t forget Tavernier. :joy:

We’ll see if Walker is going, but Trent’s chances are improving now with all these events. Trippier is going for sure, then Trent might depend on Walker’s situation. Wouldn’t be the first time Southgate took 3 RB’s either.

Not a fan of international football, especially Engerlund, but below illustrates everything that is wrong in this cash laden game these days.

Blockquote England manager Gareth Southgate could collect a £4m bonus if he guides the Three Lions to World Cup glory in Qatar.

Blockquote

Yet for failure…

I did love that celebrating his 1,000 game and then sacking him, you could say well he was garbage and he wasn’t much cop but the way they celebrated it, showed what class they have.

Unfortunately you can’t buy that stuff.

I worked for a company who picked one woman to go to a scientific conference as a co presenter of one of our papers. She was let go before she even got home :rofl:

Looks like Chilwell is now out of the world cup after injuring himself in midweek (despite playing the entire game). That’s Chilwell and James definitely out and still uncertainty about Walker and Phillips

That seems to make it certain that if fit Trent will to now, as they’ll probably need 3 RBs with Tripper, one of the 3, also being considered the alternative for LB.

I thought Bruce quit?

Gareth job for the boys Southgate. Cultivates an image of an all caring individual. But knows where his bread is buttered. This sort of comment will keep him in good stead to become the FA big-wig in around 5 to 10 years time, when he will cosy up to the suits at FIFA and UEFA.

Last year the Guardian reported that 6,500 migrant workers had died since Qatar was awarded the World Cup 10 years ago. A more recent investigation found that workers employed on World Cup-related projects are having to work 12-hour shifts across 30 days a month to earn the equivalent of about £1 an hour.

Yes, Gareth, I’m sure they are looking forward to it. Keep praising the Potemkin village.

Southgate does not face any risks speaking to migrant workers, but migrant workers do face risks in speaking to him, including the loss of their jobs and deportation if they say something Qatari officials think is wrong.

2 Likes

Trent is going. But just 6 midfielders?! And a number of squad member either recovering from injuries or in an iffy state.

No Tomori? Is he injured or something?

No, he’s just has never really been part of this group. I suppose neither has White, but he’s seemingly being selected to give him additional options at RB given Trippier’s need to cover LB.

2 Likes